cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Access Terminal Server

toprock1970
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to add a Cisco Access Terminal Server into my infrastructure but it's ben so long since I was a network engineer my knowledge of what to buys is lacking.

I used to have a Cisco 2500 series router with and octal async cable which plugged into my Console ports on my switches and firewalls.

My questions are:

1. What is the modern day equivalent

2. What are you guys using to console into you kit

I only have 4 network devices that require console access. 
We already have SSH access but there are occasions that I need Console and invoking Remote-Hands can take too long.

Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks
JB

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
5 Replies 5

Hello,

the Cisco 1100 Series Terminal Services Gateway is pretty much today's equivalent:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/cloud-systems-management/terminal-services-gateways/index.html#~benefits

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you are looking for something that is reliable and works all the time, check this out:

https://store.perle.com/iolansts4

Once you configure it and put it in production, you never have to touch it.

Cisco is expensive and not as reliable.

HTH

Martin L
VIP
VIP

Cisco 2500 series router is good option for home lab; look at youtube for how to set up one.

otherwise look for pro build devices being sold.

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

paul.driver
Level 1
Level 1

Hello
TBH - I would go to virtual labs if possible, no hardware to continually swap, most recent software to work with and you can have multiple labs.

Having access to both Cisco’s CML and EVE NG virtual environments I would say EVE-NG professional is a must, I am a recent convert to it from cisco CML,

I hate to say this, but EVE-NG is a lot better simulation especially with other vendor platforms something CML is far behind from doing, and it dockers are fantastic.
At least investigate it, I had a hardware lab for years but it not viable with the multiple vendors out there nowadays we all seem to be exposed too,

Edited-  Just realised this is for a production environment ! -  Apologies

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card