cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco C6800-SUP6T with 40GB 4x10Gb breakout cables

jerecassidy
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all!  Thank you in advance for your assistance.

I have four C6800-SUP6T supervisors in a C6807-XL chassis that have 2 FortyGigabitEthernet ports on them.  Software release notes indicate that 40GB-to-4x10GB breakout cables are supported on this platform as of version 15.3(1)SY which is some time ago.  I  am running 15.4(1)SY1, so I believe it should be supported.

Specifically, I am trying to use a QSFP-4SFP10G-CU3M

There is no log entry noted when the QSFP module is inserted into the fortygig port - but the interface media type does seem to recognize it:

Full-duplex, 40Gb/s, media type is 40Gbase-4SFP_10G_CU3M

Also, show inventory correctly identifies it:

NAME: "Chassis 1 Transceiver Fo1/3/9", DESCR: "Chassis 1 QSFP Transceiver 40Gbase-4SFP_10G_CU3M Fo1/3/9"
PID: QSFP-4SFP10G-CU3M V03 , VID: V03

Unfortunately, I was unable to find any documentation as to what the numbering would be for the 4 10Gig ports that should now be accessible.  The only documentation I could find for this was for Nexus 7K or C9500 series.  The numbering plans for those platforms does not relate to this model, where the port is on the same module/linecard as other TenGigabitEthernet ports.    I suspect I am missing a command that might be necessary to enable the breakout.

Does anyone know what configuration might be necessary?  or what numbering for these breakout modules should be expected?

Thanks again!

1 Reply 1

jerecassidy
Level 1
Level 1

of course, meant 2 supervisors in 2 chassis.  Not that this is important - but don't have 4 supervisors in a single chassis

any one have any thoughts?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card