Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco C93180YC-FX flooding messages to syslog server

I have a cisco C93180YC-FX that is flooding the following messages to our syslog server:

%KERN-3-SYSTEM_MSG: [] lcnd_tah_inband_decap:<some number>:pskb_pull failed ieth hdr dropping error:0, ieth_hdr_sz:(16) skb-len:12,skb->data_len:0 - kernel

%KERN-3-SYSTEM_MSG:[] lcnd_tah_inband_decap:<some number>:pskb_pull failed ieth hdr dropping - kernel

Our logs have grown 3GB in 24 hours mostly from this single switch.  The logging level is set to "notification".  Is it possible that our logging level is set too high?  Are these serious messages?  The switch appears to be operating perfectly fine besides all of these messages.  To my untrained eyes, they appear to simply be notices that the switch is dropping malformed packets.  Which would indicate to me that some other device on the network has issues and is being chatty on the network sending bad packets.  But I'm totally speculating on that.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Looks for me a BUG,

But let us have some information - what nexus OS running on it ? is this part of vPC (if so reload and check if that fix the issue)

what other logs you see other than that ?

If you get chance Upgrade to cisco recommended version and monitor.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Looks for me a BUG,

But let us have some information - what nexus OS running on it ? is this part of vPC (if so reload and check if that fix the issue)

what other logs you see other than that ?

If you get chance Upgrade to cisco recommended version and monitor.

BB

@balaji.bandi thank you for your response.  The switch is showing version 7.0(3)I7(3).  Looks like Cisco's recommended version as of today is 10.2(6)M or 9.3(13) if I want to stay within the 9 series.

It is indeed part of a vpc and so I believe I might be able to get away with reloading it.  I need to review what's connected to any orphaned ports though to see if those devices can go without network connectivity for the duration.

I'll see if I can get a reload approved before suggesting a firmware update.

check this Bug :

https://bst.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCvj33668

BB

@balaji.bandi I was able to reload the switch and it appears the messages have stopped.  I suspect that, since I haven't upgraded the firmware yet, they are likely to return at some point. 

I had seen the bug report you linked but wasn't totally sure if it truly was relevant to my issue since my messages are just slightly different.  However, I see no reason not to upgrade to the newer firmware.  Thanks again for your help!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card