Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst 3750G StackWise Technology

ConstanceS
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guy's

Hope you are all well.

Please can I ask you for advice and any warnings you might have for me to be aware of.

I have 7 Cisco Catalyst 3750G switches configured using StackWise.

We make use of Vlans, Spanning Tree and have Port-channels configured.

I need to remove 4 and 7 from the stack.

My questions:

1) What would be the best way to do this.

2) Can you also give me a heads up on anything that can go wrong that I should be aware of before proceeding.

Thank you in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What can go wrong? Almost anything, so this is something you would want to avoid except in a maintenance window. Although, in theory, it can be done anytime. Ideally, you don't want to connect a stack cable between two live stack members.

First, insure all links you wish to continue to use have been migrated.

Then the "safe way" power-off whole stack, remove stack members 4 and 7, reconnect stack cables bypass the removed stack members. Then power-on stack memer desired to be stack master, followed by other remaining stack members.

Otherwise, second, determine if either of the switches you wish to remove are the stack master. If one is, you'll take at least a brief L3 hit when your remove the current stack master, and depending on your configuration, the stack's MAC will change.

Third, insure you have a "full duplex" stack.

Fourth, power off one of the switches you wish to remove but not the one that is current stack master.

Fifth, restore stack cabling (i.e. jump pass powered off switch) and insure it's once again "full duplex"

Sixth, power off other stack member.

Seventh, bypass removed stack member stack cabling and insure stack is "full duplex".

Lastly (optional), remove config information for removed stack members.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi, 

It is suggested make sure that there will no master switch in switch 4 and 7 and there will no uplink or downlink will not be connected that will make downtime of the network.

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Make sure that the stack-ring is unbroken. Issue the command sh switch stack-ring speed and check that the 'Stack Ring Configuration' reports as 'Full'

Remove one switch at a time and reassemble the stack-ring, checking that the switch reports the stack-ring as unbroken (Full) each time.

If you split the stack and then attempt to re-join it, you will have two stack masters which will reload. At worst the whole stack may reload.

cheers,

Seb.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

What can go wrong? Almost anything, so this is something you would want to avoid except in a maintenance window. Although, in theory, it can be done anytime. Ideally, you don't want to connect a stack cable between two live stack members.

First, insure all links you wish to continue to use have been migrated.

Then the "safe way" power-off whole stack, remove stack members 4 and 7, reconnect stack cables bypass the removed stack members. Then power-on stack memer desired to be stack master, followed by other remaining stack members.

Otherwise, second, determine if either of the switches you wish to remove are the stack master. If one is, you'll take at least a brief L3 hit when your remove the current stack master, and depending on your configuration, the stack's MAC will change.

Third, insure you have a "full duplex" stack.

Fourth, power off one of the switches you wish to remove but not the one that is current stack master.

Fifth, restore stack cabling (i.e. jump pass powered off switch) and insure it's once again "full duplex"

Sixth, power off other stack member.

Seventh, bypass removed stack member stack cabling and insure stack is "full duplex".

Lastly (optional), remove config information for removed stack members.

Hi Guy's

Thank you very much for all the responses, @ Joseph W. Doueherty  you are a true soldier really appreciate all the info. 

You guy's rock

Have an awesome day.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card