cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst 4506E intermittent high Latency upto 700ms

brenna007
Level 1
Level 1

Good day All, i have a situation where our network has a collapsed core comprising of two Cisco Catalyst 4506E switches in a stacked configuration. We primary use wireless network access to access LAN and internet. We have 1bout 62 Ruckus R300,R310 on one ZD1200 controller and 9 Ruckus R750 on another ZD1200 controller. When we ping the Core switch (Cisco Catalyst 4506E) we are getting latencies ranging from 500ms to 700ms then they go down to 10ms and at times 3ms. I read a similar post, where someone commented that ping is not a reliable measure as 4506E may not give priority to icmp requests. I need your help on how best I can troubleshoot what is causing the high latencies, as i was using ping. The challenge is primary on our wireless network with the Ruckus R750 which have a vlan in the 4506E core switch. The high latencies are short lived and may last a few seconds, however at that point there is poor internet connectivity and some users are being booted out of their online meetings. I am thinking of running wireshark whilst connected to one of the wifi networks to try establish what traffic could be causing the high latency, however i wanted to know how i could try isolate the problem on the Catalyst 4506E as i suspect that the problem could be emanating from there?

6 Replies 6

Jitendra Kumar
Spotlight
Spotlight

What is the switch firmware version?

Thanks,
Jitendra

Cisco Catalyst 4506E, IOS-XE, Version 03.06.09.E firmware, Software (cat4500es8-UNIVERSALK9-M)

Is the Lan segment also getting such an issue?

If both LAN and Wireless have to issue them we can have to check the switch side.

if only wireless trouble them you should have to check with Ruckus support

Thanks,
Jitendra

Mohsin Alam
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

can you do a traceroute and see where the latency is being introduced? 
also a good check is to look at CPU and Memory levels since if they are choking you are limiting resources for control plane. 

## Make sure to mark post as helpful, If it resolved your issue. ##

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Use  and or configure a syslog server on all involved equipment including the none-cisco devices. Check logs also during normal times and or try to correlate a problem pattern , if any.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Can you draw simple network?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card