cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Catalyst 9800 series with 10000 APs

Ahmed Gamal
Level 1
Level 1

I have 10,000 access points, and I need a wireless controller that supports this number, as the 9800-80 supports only 6,000, so please suggest a solution for me.

10 Replies 10

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Get two 9800-80 and put 5k in each.  

Do not make any attempts to put >5k per WLC.

I check this yesterday 

Wlc 9800-cl support more than 10000.

Check data of it.

MHM

No , what I know the maximum number for large option is 6000 APs

Correct' it support up to 6000 and client up to 64000.

Thanks 

MHM

You need to config N+1 wlc then 

Put 5000 in each WLC and select which AP can fallback to other wlc (5000 ap in one wlc can not all fallback to other wlc).

MHM

yes that is correct Cisco do not have any model support more than 6K AP (may be confusing here client vs AP)

so AP Limitation we are clear, so you need make a deployment method as suggested more WLC controller with roaming to fix for now.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

My opinion is to provide four wireless LAN controllers (9800–80), and as I have two datacenters

I will put each SSO HA in the two datacenters (the first cluster, the active WLC, in the first DC, and the standby will be in the second DC, and the other cluster will be vice versa), but I need to clarify what's the situation of the interference between the different WLC clusters and the APs. Could you please explain more about the roaming between the different wireless clusters?

You plan a such a way building wise to be part of DC1 WLC and some building DC2 so on

as suggested make sure you plan correctly - since this is very high deployment, contact right partner for you to do survey and optimal deployment to get better outcome.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

WLC HA SSO is different than N+1 

The SSO you can not load balance between two WLC 

In N+1 you can do that

So with SSO even two WLC you will still have 6000 AP.

Check this note

MHM

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card