cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco CBS 250 Switch-no 'RSPAN' section under 'Status and Statistics;

NeverOutofTune
Level 1
Level 1

Code version 3.4.0.17.  I have advanced configuration enabled in the GUI.  Administration guide of the CBS 250 refers to RSPAN but I cannot find RSPAN features in the GUI or CLI, only SPAN.  Of course, I am aware that not all documentation is accurate.

I want to mirror the traffic of a port to another switch, CBS 350, for monitoring.  The CBS 350 does have RSPAN commands.

Is RPSAN a feature of the CBS 250?

6 Replies 6

NeverOutofTune
Level 1
Level 1

I have my answer here

Trying to understand difference between CBS250 and CBS350 lines of switches. - Page 2 - Cisco Community

"From a functionality standpoint, key differentiators [CBS 250 and CBS 350] are PoE budget, Stacking and some advanced security features like BPDU guard, Dynamic ARP inspection, sFlow, RSPAN, etc."

Herein lies the problem.  In the guide you mentioned above, which is titled "Cisco Business switches 250 sereies CLU guide".  RSPAN is mentioned 65 times and how to configure is shown but these commands are not available in the CBS 250 I have.

amikat
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

To my knowledge CBS250 series support SPAN only contrary to CBS350 which support both SPAN and RSPAN. You can check at the Cisco "Business 250 Smart Switches: Administration Guide" where under the chapter "Status and Statistics" only the "SPAN" is listed.

Best regards,

Antonin

Is you knowlesdge based on actual experience of just reading the guides, which I have done?

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"Of course, I am aware that not all documentation is accurate."

True, and fortunately, usually not too often.

A variation I've bumped into, general software documentation sometimes has exceptions noted in other documentation like release notes or hardware specific documentation.

You initial reply quotation appears to be from a Cisco employee, so it's possible the feature was planned for the CBS250, but at the last minute, not provided on it to enhance the value of the CBS350.  Also possibly too much trouble (expense) to revise CBS250 documentation.

BTW, I wouldn't be surprised the feature is actually in the CBS250 code, and would work correctly, but invocation blocked.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card