Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco CLI comparison tools

TroyBolton
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there,

Is there a CLI comparison tool that i can use to compare say for instance running configs etc

I want to be able to compare the config when i first started versus the config after i have made changes so if i make any mistakes i can essentially know where to look and what to revert.

Any suggestions on comparison tools please?

:)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

LanDownUnda
Spotlight
Spotlight

Using pyATS and Genie (a Cisco built Python Library) you can check configurations. Currently this is how I do my checks.

Attached is an example of a configuration check using the Genie function in pyATS. You'll see that I first learn the configuration and save it into a folder called "March09Change001" and then learn the configuration again and save it to "March09Change002". By using the "genie diff" command I can then instantly compare the two configurations and note any changes. The command also creates a .txt file with the differences in configuration that I can share with my Team.

If you want to know more! check out pyATS at developer.cisco.com

*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hello,

you could use the online tool below, just copy and paste both versions in the relevant fields and click 'Compare'...

https://text-compare.com/

Marlon AJ
Level 1
Level 1

Hi @TroyBolton ,

Also, you can use the command sw#show history to check the commands that you have recently used. Another option is using the logging category of the tool putty, which saves everything you did on the CLI on a .log file. Output of a .log file attached.

regards.

LanDownUnda
Spotlight
Spotlight

Using pyATS and Genie (a Cisco built Python Library) you can check configurations. Currently this is how I do my checks.

Attached is an example of a configuration check using the Genie function in pyATS. You'll see that I first learn the configuration and save it into a folder called "March09Change001" and then learn the configuration again and save it to "March09Change002". By using the "genie diff" command I can then instantly compare the two configurations and note any changes. The command also creates a .txt file with the differences in configuration that I can share with my Team.

If you want to know more! check out pyATS at developer.cisco.com

*** Rate All Helpful Responses ***
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card