cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Console Password Level

QUARK TARO
Level 1
Level 1

On cisco devices I have set password is below but this is not a strong password, anyone can decrypt it because it's level 7. How can I set more stronger encryption for console password?

line con 0
password 7 043B321C455B1E1B1D

4 Replies 4

Hello
As its a type 7 password you should be able to-  Use this

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

My question is, I do not want to use type 7 password, is there a way to set more stronger encryption level for console?

Generally Console connection used, when you lost access to device connect over network.

If the Physicall security compromise person can reach with console access, what security works here ?

You can use external authentication for console more secure, but that is not best practice.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello

@QUARK TARO wrote:

My question is, I do not want to use type 7 password, is there a way to set more stronger encryption level for console?

Yes you can use the local D/B of the rtr , Create a local user with type 9 hasing (if supported) and apply AAA locally

Example
conf t

username xxx algorithm-type scrypt secret xxxx
aaa new-model
aaa authentication login default group tacacs+ local
aaa authorization exec default local if-authenticate
aaa authorization console

Note: The above is only for local authentication, no central access control is being called upon,if you are currently using that then please post your exisiting configuration before applying the above.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card