Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco GUI - unable to click on any links

PaulBoundy12902
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Community

Im a bit of a newbie with Cisco - so go easy:)

Im logged into the GUI of one of my Cisco Catalyst C3850 Switches. On the left I can see the Contents 'Configure', 'Monitor', and 'Maintenance'. I can open these initial folders, but after this i cannot select anything else. if I select 'Port Settings', 'Port Status' or 'Restart/Reset' for example nothing happens. I'm using Chrome or Firefox with same results.

Ultimately I need to reboot the switch and  I'm not entirely confident going through SSH to do this. I've been told that if I reboot through SSH I need to re-load the Running Config? I do regular backups of the Startup-Config and Running-Config anyways.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pieterh
VIP
VIP

no worries, the "reload" command is the switch reboot command not reload config
you will be asked to save the current config if any changes where made after the lasts reload
or you can manually use any of the following commands before issuing the reload
- wr  (=write)
- wr mem
- copy run start (=running-config startup-config)

on cisco devices you can use the TAB key to expand the commands after enough chars (2-4) to make them unique
you can use a "?" to get a list of commands that start with these chars and a brief description ("help") 

apart from that you may be opening the GUI in your browser with an account that has no privileges to make any changes

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

pieterh
VIP
VIP

no worries, the "reload" command is the switch reboot command not reload config
you will be asked to save the current config if any changes where made after the lasts reload
or you can manually use any of the following commands before issuing the reload
- wr  (=write)
- wr mem
- copy run start (=running-config startup-config)

on cisco devices you can use the TAB key to expand the commands after enough chars (2-4) to make them unique
you can use a "?" to get a list of commands that start with these chars and a brief description ("help") 

apart from that you may be opening the GUI in your browser with an account that has no privileges to make any changes

Hi Pieter H

Thank you very much for your prompt and incredibly helpful answer.

To confirm.... If I use the 'reload' command, this will reboot the switch accordingly. I will be asked however, just before the reboot to save the current config - Which i shall do anyway. Once the switch has been rebooted and is back on line, do I need to run any other command or do anything further?

With the GUI issue, i think you are correct, i must using a non-admin account, as my other switches work perfectly well in the same browser. What is the best way to create an new admin account?

Many many Thanks

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card