cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switches Firmware Upgrade

pastortscog1
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Catalyst WS-C3650-48PS and WS-C3750G-48TS. What firmware do I need to download from the CISCO site to apply a software upgrade for each device?

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

WS-C3650-48PS - Fuji-16.9.5

WS-C3750G-48TS - 1 2.2.55-SE12(personally stick with 12.X ) if you like to go next release   15.0

read both realse notes before upgrade.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That's a very much "it depends" answer.

On the older 3750, software is provided in two feature sets, IPBase and IP Services.  Which to chose, depends on your license.  This software also comes in multiple versions, newer versions having more features.  Generally, we often chose the oldest, still supported (with maintenance) train that provides the features we need.  Why oldest?  It's been out the longest, and so, often it's the most stable.  The 12.2(55) version recommended by Balaji is a very stable version, although support on that train might have stopped.

On the newer 3650, (I believe?) software again comes in two versions, IPBase and Universal, the latter is needed for any features beyond provided by IPBase, although it works for that feature set too (just smaller in size).  For that, same recommendation as before for which to chose.

BTW, Cisco often tags a version as recommended.

PS:

Just took a look at software.

The 3750G's IOS isn't listed, but for the 3750V2 (which may [?] work on a 3750G), Cisco recommends 12.2(55)SE12.  (Again, this was recommended by Balaji.)

For the 3650, Cisco recommends 16.9.5 (as also recommended by Balaji).  (Also I was mistaken, this IOS only has a universal version.)

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The firmware for the 3560v2 is compatible with the 3560G.  

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For all those commenting about 16.9.5:  I've started "migrating" our routers and switches off 16.9.5 because of memory leaks and crashes.  I have two TAC Cases and both cases recommend going to 16.12.4 as the fixed release -- No mention of 16.9.6.  

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

WS-C3650-48PS - Fuji-16.9.5

WS-C3750G-48TS - 1 2.2.55-SE12(personally stick with 12.X ) if you like to go next release   15.0

read both realse notes before upgrade.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That's a very much "it depends" answer.

On the older 3750, software is provided in two feature sets, IPBase and IP Services.  Which to chose, depends on your license.  This software also comes in multiple versions, newer versions having more features.  Generally, we often chose the oldest, still supported (with maintenance) train that provides the features we need.  Why oldest?  It's been out the longest, and so, often it's the most stable.  The 12.2(55) version recommended by Balaji is a very stable version, although support on that train might have stopped.

On the newer 3650, (I believe?) software again comes in two versions, IPBase and Universal, the latter is needed for any features beyond provided by IPBase, although it works for that feature set too (just smaller in size).  For that, same recommendation as before for which to chose.

BTW, Cisco often tags a version as recommended.

PS:

Just took a look at software.

The 3750G's IOS isn't listed, but for the 3750V2 (which may [?] work on a 3750G), Cisco recommends 12.2(55)SE12.  (Again, this was recommended by Balaji.)

For the 3650, Cisco recommends 16.9.5 (as also recommended by Balaji).  (Also I was mistaken, this IOS only has a universal version.)

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The firmware for the 3560v2 is compatible with the 3560G.  

marce1000
VIP
VIP

https://software.cisco.com/download/home/284846124/type/282046477/release/Fuji-16.9.5

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For all those commenting about 16.9.5:  I've started "migrating" our routers and switches off 16.9.5 because of memory leaks and crashes.  I have two TAC Cases and both cases recommend going to 16.12.4 as the fixed release -- No mention of 16.9.6.  

To anyone using 3650/3850 and using PoE:  DO NOT USE 16.12.3, 16.12.3a and 16.12.4.  This is due to CSCvv50628.

NOTE:  Anyone outside of Cisco trying to access CSCvv50628 will be brought to a different bug, CSCvv28324.  I am not sure if both are related or not but CSCvv28324 is an SNMP bug while the former is a PoE bug. 

When loaded with the affected firmware, PoE will stop working after 4 weeks uptime. 

Workaround is to reboot the stack.  Remember, this is only a WORKAROUND.  This means it is a temporary fix until the next reboot. 

With all the "luck" we've been having, 3.6.10 is looking more and more attractive.  No, I am NOT joking.  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card