Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco IE 4000

S.AlQaisi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Planing to buy couple IE4000 switches to one of our projects, I have not used them before, the model that will go with has dual media ports (combo ports 4 fiber/4copper).

This is what the data sheet say "Combo ports provide one copper and one fiber physical port and only one can be activated at a time." 

My understanding is only one of the media type can be enabled at one time so either fiber or copper, by default the fiber take priority to be active if both connected. my questions is: can I activate 2 fiber ports and 2 copper ports at the same time? like the 2 fiber to uplink the switch, and 2 copper to connect 2 end devices?

2 Replies 2

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

can I activate 2 fiber ports and 2 copper ports at the same time? like the 2 fiber to uplink the switch, and 2 copper to connect 2 end devices?

Yes, as long as you use a total of 4 copper or fiber and not both at the same time, So with 2 copper and 2 fiber, you should be fine.

Table-2

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/industrial-ethernet-4000-series-switches/datasheet-c78-733058.html

HTH

@Reza Sharifi Thanks, this is the model that I'm going with IE-4000-8GT8GP4G-E, it has 16 copper ports, and 4 combo. so in my case config I can have 18 copper and 2 fiber all active, correct?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card