cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco ISR4431 Layer 2 limitation on Interfaces

Krish88
Level 1
Level 1

Wanted to get some clarification. I know that these are purley Layer 3 but with a NIM we can enable Layer 2 support. Question is does this enable Layer 2 support on all interfaces? Ex. the original routed SFP ports? Or is this limited to just the NIM ports.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Layer-2 is limited to the NIM module. The original onboard ports that come with the router are all layer-3 only.

HTH 

View solution in original post

I don't think there is any switch module that comes with SFP ports. Have a look at this link under the "Ethernet switch" section.

A few of them are l2/l3 modules but I don't see any SFP ports. Maybe you can convert one of the copper ports to SFP using a media converter.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/relevant-interfaces-and-modules.html#ethernet-switch

HTH

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Layer-2 is limited to the NIM module. The original onboard ports that come with the router are all layer-3 only.

HTH 

Thanks! Are there any modules that would allow us to create an SVI and apply vlan to multiple ports but supports SFP? There are so many modules but trying to figure out which would best fit this solution rather than creating subinterfaces and a transit switch.

I don't think there is any switch module that comes with SFP ports. Have a look at this link under the "Ethernet switch" section.

A few of them are l2/l3 modules but I don't see any SFP ports. Maybe you can convert one of the copper ports to SFP using a media converter.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/4000-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/relevant-interfaces-and-modules.html#ethernet-switch

HTH

Ah ok makes sense looking at the sheet those WAN NIMs are routed only. So really its just the Ethernet switch NIMs but defeats the purpose as we have SFP single mode.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card