Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Nexus 40G to 1G

omer shtivi
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We have N9K-C93108TC-EX (48 ports Copper and 6 ports QSFP)

We want to connect a FW using 1G optics so we need to "lower" the speed of the 40G.

So we bought CVR-QSFP-SFP10G and we put a Multi-mode SFP We did the breakout command:

interface breakout module 1 port 49-50 map 10g-4x

but when I issue speed 1000 we receive the following:

Ethernet1/50/1 is down (Transceiver speed does not match the speed configured on the port)

We are using version:

7.0(3)I4(7)

Does anyone knows how do I do it?

BR,

Omer Shtivi

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions
8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

The Optics you are using are 10G 10x4=40 and not 1Gig SFP.  I don't think there is a way to break down a 40Gig interface to 40x1Gig interfaces. I have not seen that.

HTH

Don't need 40 1G, need 1G.

Found out its a version most probably, https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/interfaces_modules/transceiver_modules/compatibility/matrix/GE_Tx_Matrix.html#_Toc508962836

So upgrading now:

NXOS-703I7.1

I understand you need only 1 1Gig but the breakout cable is only 10Gig. 

Is this the optic you are using for 1Gig?

GLC-SX-MMD

HTH

Yes, I'm using

GLC-SX-MMD

Works

Great. So, NXOS-703I7.1 works for using 1Gig with a breakout cable.  Does the interface numbering stay the same as 10G? 

HTH

Guys, Can we use 6*40G as Access port..

as I am working on a requirement where I have to connect the 10G Storage NAS Box hence I have proposed CVR-QSFP-SFP10G with SFP-10G-SR and i want to use as Access port with specific VLAN assigned to it...

But I come to know the 6*40G in Nexus 93108/93180 can be only use for uplink purpose as Trunk ...not as Access port...please suggest bit urgent...?

I understood that he isn't using a breakout cable, because he mentioned CVR-QSFP-SFP10G adapter.

So the interface of the switch was physically converted from 40G to 10G and he can be using a OM3/OM4 fiber or single mode fiber.

Even with the QSFP to 10G SFP adapter, is it necessary to input the breakout command? 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco