cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Nexus 9300 Series 93120TX Switch (Home Use?)

TheGoob
Level 4
Level 4

Hello

I know this is overkill but I am more focused on the cheap cost I’ll get it for. Currently I’d only be using it to create 6 vlans, a trunk to my Cisco FPR1010 and of course assigning certain amounts of Interfaces to said vlans.

At the end of the day, would I be able to do so for simplicity for starters?  

8 Replies 8

Ruben Cocheno
Spotlight
Spotlight

@TheGoob 

That is more than sufficient, and you can probably start a Hosting business

Tag me to follow up.
Please mark it as Helpful and/or Solution Accepted if that is the case. Thanks for making Engineering easy again.
Connect with me for more on Linkedin https://www.linkedin.com/in/rubencocheno/

TheGoob
Level 4
Level 4

hi there thank you for the response. That is correct this is definitely overkill it’s more for a fun type of project. But cheap or not I did not want to get something that wouldn’t at least be able to do what I needed to do as in it being too advanced for my simple needs. Well I do own 16 static IP and I am upgrading to gigabit Internet so maybe I will start a hosting business lol.

as far as the specs I noticed that it mentions that each interface is a 10 GB interface, is that accurate or am I reading it wrong?

yes it does:

you probably already found this information in the datasheet
Specifications at a Glance
The Nexus 93120TX supports:

2.4 Tbps of bandwidth in a 2 RU form factor
96 fixed 10-Gbps BASE-T ports that can operate at 100 Mbps, 1 Gbps, or 10 Gbps speeds
Six fixed 40-Gbps QSFP+ for uplink connectivity that can be turned into 10-Gbps ports

TheGoob
Level 4
Level 4

Awesome! Well today the Nexus comes, totally excited. I know at the start I am gonna be a downer and use it for simple simple L2 access for my vlans, but will move up doing fancy things. For now, I just wanna merge my current 2 switch system to 1.

Never created a TRUNK on my Cisco FPR1010, but I want to create a Trunk on GE1/2 for vlan 1-6 [each vlan having it's own DHCP Server, as it currently does] and then on this Nexus, I wanna make, let's say, GE 1/1 [?] The TRUNK Port for the vlan 1-6 from the FPR.

For now I want to make let's say 24 Ports all 'switchport mode access'  [L2?] Ports and assign 4 Ports per vlan. Any routing/communication will be done through the Cisco FPR1010 as it [currently] already has the correct routing and ACL's/NAT.

Currently each Interface of my FPR1010 has it's own vlan, and each Interface has an ethernet connected to a 24 Port Switch in the same manner, but it is a waste so I want to do trunk. As far as my situation now [pre trunk but on new exus] will that L2 switchport mode access and assigning interfaces to the vlans and routing done on Cisco FPR a good and correct way to start?

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I really not sure what is need of nexus switch at home, this make lot of noise and consume more power.

if this is only VLAN requirement, nothing for Servers requirement like DC and NAS kind of stuff

i would suggest to look for desktop switch low noise switches available for better prices/

Looks for some 3560CX models

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3560-cx-series-switches/datasheet-c78-733229.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Well I got it from a friend who nearly pennies.... I have Solar at home, unlimited Power, so at night I would shut it down. Like I was saying [I think] was solely for learning something new and expanding beyond what I currently had, SG500X, SG350XG and a Catalyst 48 Port. If I went down from those 3 to this 1, I may come out even [Power wise]. I absolutely know this is not practical, but I wanted to try something new and the situation has risen.

Sure your intention is that ok agreed. make sure you have License to use some of the feature, nexus you need to enable some of the feature to enable - if you have that features and License you ok with noise feel free to use, its good product

its leaf switch so you know well about that product :

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/switches/nexus-9000-series-switches/nexus-9300-10GbaseT-switches-comparison.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

TheGoob
Level 4
Level 4

Well I will give you this, it is damned loud.

Anyway, I got it up and running and all so I am happy

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card