Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco nexus7000 nx-os vPC netflow

Maurizio_C
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All.

I would like monitoring a VPC link based using a NetFlow session, on a couple of Nexus 7000, for each switch the vPC is composed by a 2x10G each one, meaning a total of 40Gbit/sec.

I searched on Cisco website, founding a good documentation, explaining Netflow, Cisco Nexus 7000 Series NX-OS System Management Configuration Guide 

The Guide show some examples, based on Vlan, SubIf or Physical Interfaces, nothing about vPC. I'm afraid that configuring each physical interface to be exported on the same netflow session may report bad informations, and I would like avoid to affect the switch due to intensive load, wrong configuration or similar.

So, my simple question is: There is a way to realize my focus ?

Thank you for your replay.

B. Regards.

1 Reply 1

Yes, you can achieve your goal of monitoring a vPC link using a NetFlow session on Cisco Nexus 7000 switches. To do this, you can configure the NetFlow feature on the member interfaces of the vPC. The best practice is to apply the NetFlow configuration to the individual member interfaces rather than the vPC itself. This way, you will get accurate information about the traffic flowing through each interface.

Here's a sample configuration for enabling NetFlow on a Nexus 7000 switch:

```
! Enable the NetFlow feature
feature netflow

! Configure a flow record
flow record my-flow-record
match ipv4 source address
match ipv4 destination address
match transport source-port
match transport destination-port
match ipv4 protocol
collect counter bytes
collect counter packets
collect interface input

! Configure a flow exporter
flow exporter my-flow-exporter
destination (exporter_ip_address)
source (source_interface)
transport udp 2055
version 9

! Configure a flow monitor
flow monitor my-flow-monitor
record my-flow-record
exporter my-flow-exporter
cache timeout active 60

! Apply the flow monitor to the member interfaces of the vPC
interface EthernetX/Y
ip flow monitor my-flow-monitor input
```

Replace `(exporter_ip_address)` with the IP address of your NetFlow collector, `(source_interface)` with the interface used to send NetFlow data, and `EthernetX/Y` with the appropriate interface names for your vPC member interfaces.

By applying this configuration to each member interface of the vPC, you ensure that the data collected is accurate and representative of the actual traffic on the interfaces. The switch should handle this configuration without causing any significant performance impact.

Keep in mind that this is just a sample configuration, and you might need to adjust it based on your specific requirements and environment.

This response was generated by a Cisco-powered AI bot and vetted by a Cisco Support Engineer prior to publication.
This is part of a monitored experiment to see if the bot can help answer questions alongside community members. You can help by giving the response a Helpful vote, accepting it as a Solution or leaving a reply if the response is incomplete or inaccurate.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card