cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco router 1941 completely giving wrong IP and DNS address

prompt2k2
Level 1
Level 1

I have configured the ROuter 1941 successfuly and been in use for about 5 months, and just this morning, I realised some systems are not able to connect to the internet, on investigation I realised they do not have the correct IP and DNS address, they will connect to internet when I manually assign the IP and DNS address, what could be the cause and possible solution, i have checked the config and the DHCP pool and the DNS address configured on the router still remain correct.

Please help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

It seems somone has enabled DHCP server in ur network which is leasing these IP's.

Thanks

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

HI

I think someone has introduced a cable modem in u r network,kindly check in to this,

Hi Mahmoodmkl,

what do you mean by a cable modem? please elaborate.

Hi,

It seems somone has enabled DHCP server in ur network which is leasing these IP's.

Thanks

Hi Seun

It also can be a small router/wi-fi point etc.

You can check leased addresses via command "sh ip dhcp binding"

Just install wireshark on one of the PC's which gets wron address and renew the address.

If you'll get wrong ip you will see from which address you have received it - this will be rogue dhcp server address. Then just check the mac on the switch to find out the port to which server is connected.

HTH,

Alex

prompt2k2
Level 1
Level 1

Yea, Thanks,

Once you mentioned that, I realised one of the access point may have been the cause, and it turns out it is.

All I did was to disable the DHCP server on the Access Point.

Everything is fine now.

Thanks

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card