Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco router 800 series interface cellular0 keeps bouncing up/down

tinhnho123
Level 2
Level 2

Hi Everyone,

I was able to setup my router c819 with Verizon 3G but there is one minor thing that on the console it keeps saying:

Aug  7 21:04:30.067: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Cellular0, changed state to reset

Aug  7 21:04:35.111: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Cellular0, changed state to down

Aug  7 21:06:18.423: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Cellular0, changed state to up

The interface Cellluar0 is connected to Verizon 3G network and I'm able to ping and get to the internet just fine. I did few research and some people said it was access list. My ACL is below but I can't find anything wrong with it. Any ideas?

!

!

interface Cellular0

ip address negotiated

ip nat outside

ip virtual-reassembly in

encapsulation ppp

dialer in-band

dialer string cdma

dialer-group 1

async mode interactive

ppp chap password 0 cisco

!

!

access-list 1 permit any

dialer-list 1 protocol ip list 1

!

Thanks.

4 Replies 4

tinhnho123
Level 2
Level 2

When the route is sitting idle, I see the interface cell 0 bouncing up and down. But when I'm ping 8.8.8.8 (or other external ip addresses), I don't see the interface cell 0 bouncing. Any ideas?

My only guess would be that the cellular connection times out when its idle too long. Atleast that was my problem at home. I fixed it with ip sla configured with icmp-echo to an external address reachable through the cellular interface. 1 packet each 10 seconds should be enough.

Regards,

Kristian

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Hi,

Just curiosity, for the fix how do you get that setup on your router?

Thanks.

Hi,

Try something like this:

ip sla 1

icmp-echo 8.8.8.8 source-interface Cellular0

frequency 10

ip sla schedule 1 life forever start-time now

It will however only work if you actually have a valid route in the routers RIB pointing traffic (icmp) towards 8.8.8.8 out interface Cellular0. If you dont, choose an ip address that does. (or use a static route towards a /32 prefix aka host)

Also, you may need to change "source-interface Cellular0" to your LAN interface, depending on your router config.

Regards,

Kristian

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card