cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco switch doesn't recognise device behind it

toshiyoshida60
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have a problem with my network. I have a Cisco C1000 16-port switch, and currently, there are Linksys SR216 switches in my network. I would like to replace these Linksys switches with the C1000 switches. I have migrated everything, and everything is working as it should, but I have an issue with a device that seems to be some kind of alarm central. When I plug it into the switch port, it doesn't respond; the interface is down and there are no logs whatsoever. However, when I plug it into a Linksys port, it starts working automatically. I've tried different models of the C1000 switch, but the problem remains the same.

Interestingly, I think I have noticed a pattern: when I use a switch with 10/100 ports, it works, but when I use a switch with 10/100/1000 ports, it doesn't. The configuration is quite simple: VLAN 1, everything is set to access, with one trunk to the router, and that's it.

If you have any ideas, I would appreciate your help in resolving this issue.

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>... when I use a switch with 10/100 ports, it works, but when I use a switch with 10/100/1000 ports, it doesn't.
   - What speed does it use (negotiates) on a 10/100 switch ? Does it help to set that speed manually on a 10/100/1000
      switch, 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

we have seen this kind of issues in the past, so try make it manually 10MB or 100MB depends on the device capabilities

try different options as below :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/lan-switching/ethernet/10561-3.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello
Have you tried hardcoding the interfaces speed/duplex ?

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

amikat
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Can you please try to configure "speed auto 10 100" under the interface your central alarm device is to be connected and check if there is any progress.

Best regards,

Antonin

It L1 issue 

MHM

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card