Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco switch to non-Cisco issue port disable/enable repeatedly

Hey is that Leo
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

I currently have a 2960s (had the same issue with a 3750G and 3750X) that has a crossover cable connection going to a Netgear switch. I also had this issue with a TP-Link, which was swapped to the Netgear as a solution attempt.

The port goes down/up repeatedly.

2020-09-17_0-03-46.jpg2020-09-17_0-05-26.jpg

2020-09-17_0-07-34.jpg

I've also tried it with a regular patch cable to see if that made a difference.

Set the port to duplex auto, speed auto. Even shut down PoE in case that was the issue.

Does Cisco just not play with non-Cisco? Or, am I missing something truly obvious?

Thank you in advance for help with this issue!

7 Replies 7

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Look at those line errors go!

Post the complete output to the following command: 

sh controller e Gi 1/0/14
sh run interface Gi 1/0/14

I suspect the issue could be speed/duplex mismatch.

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Check the logs of the Netgear too , perhaps a more specific reason can be found.

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Hello,

are the ports on both sides configured as access or trunk ports ? What if you configure 'mdix auto' on the Cisco interface ?

Hey is that Leo
Level 1
Level 1

For a moment, I got excited about the 'mdix auto' ... but that didn't work unfortunately.

Please see output below for the following:

sh controller e Gi 1/0/14
sh run interface Gi 1/0/14

2020-09-17_12-28-57.jpg2020-09-17_12-28-23.jpg

I am wrong.  It is not a speed/duplex mismatch. 
The issue is coming from the Netgear switch.

Then it must hold true that Cisco does not play well with non-Cisco devices. I started with a TP-Link, and thought that was the issue, which is why I switched to the Netgear. I only needed something very basic, with PoE, to power some cameras and an AP.

Between the TP-Link and Netgear, I'm out close to $200... definitely unhappy about that.

I ended up putting a spare 3750G PoE 48 port (way overkill) in place for the time being. Curious how this plays out ... If it ends up being the cable after everything, well ... I'll never admit it.

Thanks for all the help.

Hi

Put the speed mode of desired port on AUTO and let devices negotiate on speed by themselves!!!

hope that works:)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card