cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Trunk

jessnew321
Level 1
Level 1

I am having an issue that I cannot seem to get my head around. I have set up a trunk on a Cisco 2960C (g0/1) to a router. On the router I have a vlan set up (eth2.10) with an ip address of 192.168.2.1.

I moved the native vlan from vlan 1 to 99 and gave it an ip address of 192.168.2.2.

I created a vlan 10 on the switch and have a host connected with an ip of 192.168.2.4. Vlan 10 is allowed on the trunk.

From the host I can ping the router (192.168.2.1) and have internet access. When I ping 192.168.2.2 I get 'Destination host unreachable' with replies back from the router ip address (no packet loss).

Vlan 99 is status up, protocol down and I cannot ssh into the switch.

What am I missing? Does the router need additional configuration?

Thank you.

11 Replies 11

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It appears that you have both vlan 10 and the native vlan (99) in the same subnet (192.158.2.1 and 192.168.2.2).

If this is the case, you need to put vlan 99 in a different subnet,

so, vlan 10 192.168.0.1/24

vlan 99 192.168.3.0/24

you also need to create a sub-interface for vlan 99 on the router just like the one you have for vlan 10. Make sure this sub-interface has the key work "native" just like the switch side.

HTH

I've given vlan 99 on switch - 192.168.3.2/24

On router I created vlan 99 (eth2.99) - 192.168.3.1/24

I gave vlan 10 on the router - 192.168.4.1/24

The host on vlan 10 - 192.168.4.4/24 w/ a default gateway - 192.168.4.1

I am getting the same result though. Host can ping it's default gateway and has internet connectivity. Vlan 99 is status up, protocol down.

Did I miss something?

Thanks

It seems to be an issue with the native vlan 99. I have a port assigned (f0/8), and it comes up/up when I attached a host. I still cannot ping it though.

A vlan SVI must have at least host port active in that subnet or the vlan allowed across an active trunk connection to bring the SVI up .

I was able to get vlan 99 (native) up/up by adding it to the allowed vlans on the trunk. I have given it an ip address of 192.168.3.2/24.

On the router I have a vlan 99 (eth2.99) with an ip of 192.168.3.1/24.

My default-gatway on the switch is 192.168.3.1/24

Still cannot ping or ssh into the router.

My host on vlan 10 can reach the internet through the switch to the router.

I wish I could find a clear and complete tutorial on this.

Did you make vlan 99 a native vlan on the switch?

Yes, vlan 99 is the native vlan on the switch.

can you post the configs from both the switch and the router and tell us what port is the uplink port from the switch to the router?

also from the switch can you post the output of "sh vlan"

Switch:

interface FastEthernet0/1                                                       
 switchport access vlan 10                                                      
 switchport mode access                                                         
!                                                                               
interface FastEthernet0/2                                                       
!                                                                               
interface FastEthernet0/3                                                       
!                                                                               
interface FastEthernet0/4                                                       
!                                                                               
interface FastEthernet0/5                                                       
!                                                                               
interface FastEthernet0/6                                                       
!                                                                               
interface FastEthernet0/7                                                       
!                                                                               
interface FastEthernet0/8                                                       
 switchport access vlan 99                                                      
 switchport mode access                                                         
!                                                                               
interface GigabitEthernet0/1                                                    
 switchport trunk native vlan 99                                                
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 10,99                                            
 switchport mode trunk                                                          
!                                                                               
interface GigabitEthernet0/2                                                    
!                                                                               
interface Vlan1                                                                 
 no ip address                                                                  
!                                                                               
interface Vlan10                                                                
 no ip address                                                                  
!                                                                               
interface Vlan99                                                                
 ip address 192.168.3.2 255.255.255.0

SW1#show vlan br                                                                

VLAN Name                             Status    Ports                           
---- -------------------------------- --------- -------------------------------
1    default                          active    Fa0/2, Fa0/3, Fa0/4, Fa0/5      
                                                Fa0/6, Fa0/7, Gi0/2             
10   Data                             active    Fa0/1                           
99   Management-Native                active    Fa0/8                           
1002 fddi-default                     act/unsup                                 
1003 token-ring-default               act/unsup                                 
1004 fddinet-default                  act/unsup                                 
1005 trnet-default                    act/unsup  

Router:

Localeth1ethernet
192.168.1.1/24
1500345.74 Kbps16.68 Kbpsconnected
Local 2eth2ethernet

150015.09 Kbps6.48 Kbpsconnected
VLAN 10eth2.10vlan
192.168.4.1/24
150014.94 Kbps5.78 Kbpsconnected
Nativeeth2.99vlan
192.168.3.1/24
15000 bps0 bpsconnected

So, the host is connected to port fa0/1 right?

on the switch since you already have "switchport trunk native vlan 99" can you change

switchport trunk allowed vlan 10,99

to

switchport trunk allowed vlan 10

also

what is the output of "sh run int eth0/2" on the router?

or just post sh run from the router

Reza, when I remove vlan 99 and change to 'switchport trunk allowed vlan 10' only, it goes back to status up, protocol down. With vlan 99 also allowed on the trunk it's up,up.

The router is running Vyatta:

}
    ethernet eth2 {
        description "Local 2"
        duplex auto
        speed auto
        vif 10 {
            address 192.168.4.1/24
            description "VLAN 10"
        }
        vif 99 {
            address 192.168.3.1/24