Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WS-C4510R+E enable password recovery

adompierre
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

We recently had a client who lost their IT manager. Unfortunately, we weren't provided the console password for the Cisco core switch. I am working on trying to get back access to this and wondering the best way to go about the process. Can we do password recovery with scheduled downtime but not setting back to factory defaults?

I've found this for reference so that's where i'm starting but any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Password recovery - Cisco Community

Thank you,

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- FYI : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-4000-series-switches/21229-pswdrec-cat4000-supiii-21229.html

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Console into switch and reboot.  Post the entire boot-up process. 

I am looking for a sign if Password Recovery is disabled or not.

If this feature is disabled, if a password recovery activity is conducted the switch will deliberately erase the config.

The original post was very specific in its focus on console access. I wonder if there might be a user name and password that someone knows which might provide access using telnet/SSH?

Another question would be whether there is any network management system implemented that might archive config information or perhaps provide access using SNMP to retrieve information from the core switch?

HTH

Rick

@Richard Burts wrote:
perhaps provide access using SNMP to retrieve information from the core switch?

Depends entirely on the previous and current network manager.  

Although this is not going to be the first time I have seen a recently terminated staff locking up the network.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: