Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco3845 Cant break into IOS

PBinghamN2S
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can someone please help. I have a 3845-Mb that has a username and password already on it. This needs to be wiped as its a sold unit. However i cannot break into teh IOS in Hyperterminal using Ctrl-Break either as it boots or after teh IOS image has loaded (after it shows Decompressed image {ok} etc). I have tried several break key combinations such as ctrl+F6+break and they dont work either. On  boot the unit does show Password recovery Functionality is disabled. IOS image is 12.4(13r)T.

Thanks

6 Replies 6

dasasse
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Paul,

It seems someone has disabled password recovery in your image (no service password-recovery).

Maybe the following document will be helpful for you:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios-xml/ios/sec_usr_cfg/configuration/12-4t/sec-no-svc-pw-recvry.html?referring_site=smartnavRD

This link from our forum also talks about the same issue as yours, and the risks:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/143871

(unfortunately the link down does not work is not working anymore)

I hope this helpful, else I would suggest to follow up with the guys from thread 143871,

(Home -> NetPro -> LAN, Switching and Routing)

because the Cisco ISR 3845 is not considered a Small Business Router

Regards,

Daniel

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Oh for goodness sakes!

You have a 3845.  You DO NOT NEED a Ctrl-Break sequence.

Eject the CF and power on the router.  Ka-Ching!  You're in ROMmon!

Thanks for the suggestions. Removing the Compact Flash hasnt worked. It just keeps looping round teh Bootstrap and saying Compact Flash not present. It doesnt enter Rommon. This is teh only unit i've had trouble getting to Rommon with. Maybe a replacement flash would work, would it have to be from a similar unit as this is the only 3845 we have?

Thanks for the suggestions. Removing the Compact Flash hasnt worked. It just keeps looping round teh Bootstrap and saying Compact Flash not present. It doesnt enter Rommon. This is teh only unit i've had trouble getting to Rommon with. Maybe a replacement flash would work, would it have to be from a similar unit as this is the only 3845 we have?

This I gotta see! 

Can I request if you can console into the router and reboot the router?  I want to see the entire bootup process.

Maybe a replacement flash would work, would it have to be from a similar unit as this is the only 3845 we have?

If you want to get into ROMmon, the most sure-fire way is to eject the CF and reboot the router.   Putting a CF in PLUS your Ctrl+Break sequence doesn't work doesn't make any sense.

I've tried again so that i could get the Console to post here and guess what? It actually did boot to teh Rommon 1> prompt. from this i've managed to wipe the configs and set it back to a blank IOS image. I have no idea why it just kept cycling the first time, bit strange, but hey its done now. Thanks fo rteh help Leolaohoo.

Glad to see it helped.

Can you mark this thread as "Answered"?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card