Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco9300-48U downgrade ios

marzi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

I need to know how to downgrade a Cisco C9300-48U from rel.:cat9k_iosxe.17.09.04a.SPA.bin (Cupertino) to cat9k_iosxe.16.09.01.SPA.bin (Fuji).

The release notes says  that Microcode Downgrade is a necessary prerequisite.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst9300/software/release/17-9/release_notes/ol-17-9-9300/upgrading_the_switch_software.html

My question is: Can I use “install commands” for downgrade or should I use “request platform software commands” ?

Reading the following table seems that it possible downgrade from 16.12.1 or later ( in my case 17.09.04a ) to IOS XE Fuji 16.9.1 using the request platfrom method only.

When downgrading from ...

To one of These Releases

by Using...

Action For Microcode Downgrade

Cisco IOS XE Gibraltar 16.12.1 or a later release

Cisco IOS XE Everest 16.6.1 through Cisco IOS XE Everest 16.6.6

Cisco IOS XE Fuji 16.9.1 through Cisco IOS XE Fuji 16.9.2

install commands

Microcode will roll back automatically as part of the software installation. No further action is required.

request platform software commands or or bundle boot

Manually downgrade the microcode before downgrading the software image.

Enter the hw-module mcu rollback command in global configuration mode, to downgrade microcode.

Probably I’m wrong because the request platform method is deprecated, but, please I need a confirm.

p.s. I hope that downgrade from 17.09.04a to 16.9.1 could be done directly without intermediate IOS (16.9.2) passing

Thanks and have a nice day

Fabrizio

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is no guarantee the switch can load 16.9.X firmware.

Give it a try:  If the switch boots into ROMMON, then it could be because it is unable to support 16.9.X.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There is no guarantee the switch can load 16.9.X firmware.

Give it a try:  If the switch boots into ROMMON, then it could be because it is unable to support 16.9.X.

Thanks Leo

Have a nice week end

Fabrizio

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card