Views
Helpful
Replies

clock timezone command issue

alexals
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

Am not sure whether the issue I have now is a well-known bug in IOS or something else. I need to get advice from you all about 'clock timezone' command.

I'm currently working in one of service provider company and having roughly around 200 unit of Cisco ISR 2921/K9 router. These routers having exactly the same specification/configuration on hardware. I noted that majority of these routers having one weird issue whereby configuring 'clock timezone' command doesn't get registered in the configuration. Only a handful of these routers are able to accept that command.

Due to this, most of our router doesn't have correct time synchronization (few hours behind the current time). I tried many times to enforce 'clock timezone MY 8 0' on those routers but fail. I did execute 'show run | sec clock timezone' command and I expect it is in the configuration but it is not exist at all.

What could it be? All these routers are able to synchronize time with our NTP server but majority of it doesn't registered correct time due to 'clock timezone' issue.

INFO:

Model: Cisco 1921/K9 router

IOS version: C1900 Software (C1900-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.3(3)M6, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Kindly advise and thank you in advance.

Alex

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Alex,

Can you try using a timezone name that contains at least 3 characters? It looks like a timezone name consisting of only 2 characters is too short:

Router(config)#clock timezone MY 8 0 
*Jan  4 05:52:51.563: %SYS-3-TIMEZONE_INVALID: Invalid timezone name
Router(config)#
Router(config)#clock timezone MYT 8 0 
Router(config)#
*Jan  4 05:53:02.223: %SYS-6-CLOCKUPDATE: System clock has been updated from 05:53:02 UTC Thu Jan 4 2018 to 13:53:02 MYT Thu Jan 4 2018, configured from console by console.

Ideally, you should use the official timezone name abbreviation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_time_zone_abbreviations

Can you give this a try?

Best regards,
Peter

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Alex,

Can you try using a timezone name that contains at least 3 characters? It looks like a timezone name consisting of only 2 characters is too short:

Router(config)#clock timezone MY 8 0 
*Jan  4 05:52:51.563: %SYS-3-TIMEZONE_INVALID: Invalid timezone name
Router(config)#
Router(config)#clock timezone MYT 8 0 
Router(config)#
*Jan  4 05:53:02.223: %SYS-6-CLOCKUPDATE: System clock has been updated from 05:53:02 UTC Thu Jan 4 2018 to 13:53:02 MYT Thu Jan 4 2018, configured from console by console.

Ideally, you should use the official timezone name abbreviation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_time_zone_abbreviations

Can you give this a try?

Best regards,
Peter

Hi Peter,

It works but I didn't get this error messages '*Jan 4 05:52:51.563: %SYS-3-TIMEZONE_INVALID: Invalid timezone name' before. It just shows nothing after I entered the previous command. Hmmmm...

Anyway, thank you very much for your suggestion ! :D

Regards,

Alex

Hi Alex,

Yeah, I've used 15.5(2)XB 7200 IOS just to quickly test the clock timezone command behavior, and it looks this IOS version reports errors more diligently.

Best regards,
Peter

Hi.

I am trying to change the time zone on a cisco 2960, but on inserting  timezone, it is showing unrecognize command. what should i do please?

Joseph,

Can you paste the exact command you are trying to enter, and the response from the switch? We need to understand what exactly you are trying to configure, and how does the switch respond.

Thanks!

Best regards,
Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: