cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

command to show physical connection in Cisco 3660?

charles87
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am using cisco c3660 to act as Terminal Server for the communication of production machines in my company, recently there is a communication lost issue happen and its due to physical cable unplug from the machine. to troubleshoot for this issues i have to physically go inside my production area to check on it,  as i understand from vendor we can check on the physical machine to see whether the LED light on the module is green or not, but in case of need to troubleshoot at night time, its time consuming as i need to travel back to company. is there any command that i can issue in the router c3660 to check on the physical connection between c3660 router and the production machine? the IOS version is IOS (tm) 3600 Software (C3660-I-M), Version 12.1(4)

Many thanks.

3 Replies 3

nkarpysh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

I might not understand the question correctly.

On all Cisco routers and switches you can use command "show interface INT_NAME", e.g. "show interface FastEthernet0/1".

It is showing whether interface is UP (connected and negotiated the speed duplex) or Down (noconnect) - due to no link signals, Administratevly down - shutdown by Administrator, etc.

So if it is showing Down (notconnect) then there is a physical problem with a link/port/other side.

Let me know if my understanding is correct or you need some other details.

Nik

HTH,
Niko

Hi Nik,

Thanks for your reply. actually i am using tty line (Terminal controller line) to make a connection to our production machine. everytime a new machine come in, i will configure 1 tty line for the machine communication with the correct baud rate. 1 tty line will have 1 physical line connected to the machine with RJ45 or RS232 connector.

what i mean here is if the physical connection connected to the machine is loose or unplug, how can we check on c3660 router? is there any command that can we used to check?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco