Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure VoIP phone with PC in a daisy chain manner

shados
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, topology is attached.

Please help me. how do I put the phone and PC on different VLANs and different subnets?

If you could explain and paste the commands I'd appreciate it.

2 Replies 2

mlund
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

There are 2 ways to do this, depending of the phone manufacture.

If it is a cisco phone (some other vendors do actually also support this), you will use "switchport voice vlan xxx"

together with the normal command "switchport access vlan yyy"

This will instruct the switch to send this information to the phone, using cdp.

The phone will then put in dot1q value of xxx in all traffic generated by the phone, traffic that is coming in from pc, will be forwarded without an dot1q, and will therefor be assigned to vlan yyy by the switch.

If the phone doesn't understand cdp, you have to do it with the command "switchport mode trunk" and "switchport trunk allowed vlan xxx,yyy". Then also this information have to be programmed into the phone, either manually or by the startup when the phone gets the configuration file, normally by some sort of dhcp options.

/Mikael

BTW, I've worked with non-Cisco phone which boot with no VLAN info (i.e. they use the access VLAN on the port) and, as noted by @mlund, you send them an option string denoting what VLAN tag used.  However, generally, you can still use "switchport voice vlan xxx" rather than need to define the interface as a trunk port.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card