Views
Helpful
Replies

Configure WOL for Catalyst 2960-X

mt.letterbox
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Need your kind advice on setting up Wake On LAN (WOL) for my DELL machines. Currently I am trying to setup WOL for my servers and workstations in my server rack. Configuration for the servers and machines are completed and tested to be working on an unmanaged SOHO switch. However, when i installed and setup CISCO Catalyst 2960-X switch, I am unable to WOL for my servers and workstations.

Question: 

(1) Does Catalyst 2960-X switch supports WOL?

(2) Does Catalyst 2960-X switch need to configure settings to support WOL?

Thank you.

Mark

5 Replies 5

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

wol needs to be setup it doesn't just run on Cisco devices

You need to set it up on the layer 3 device your routers or is the 2960x acting as L3 ? I know some newer xr  and x models have L3 capabilities , it should be setup where the inter vlan routing is done

Wol gets setup like dhcp helper under a layer 3 vlan with directed broadcast setup

This doc shows an example for L3 3750 , would be same concept for any L3 device set it at the vlan

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/switches/catalyst-3750-series-switches/91672-catl3-wol-vlans.html

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the advice.

Can I check whether without a layer 3 switch, can WOL be configured using a layer 2 switch?  All the machines are connected to 1 VLAN for this setup, thus there is no need for interVLAN routing.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks!

Hi

you shouldnt require inetervlan routing but you will require an SVI interface , can you not apply it to vlan 1 interface if thats all thats running on the switch

its ip directed broadcast so there needs to be a layer 3 interface

2960X does not support the command "ip forward-protocol", so you cannot add the desired UDP-port to forwarding

First of all do you server nics support WOL and are they configured to do so?
Now as this switch is only a host switch then you need a rtr or l3 device to send directed broadcasts to this switch and the servers.

You do this on the rtr/l3 switch
ip forward protocol udp echo
access-list 100 permit udp host <dhcp server ip> host <server1> eq echo
access-list 100 permit udp host <dhcp server ip> host <server2> eq echo

int vlan xx
description server vlan
ip helper-address x.x.x. < relay for dhcp server (if applicable)
ip directed broadcast 100

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card