cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring switch ports for wireless

susan.brady
Level 1
Level 1

I am having problems with some of my wireless devices, and I don't know if the issue is on the AP side or the switch side.

Cisco 3548 switches.

Cisco 1231, 1242, and 1252 Access Points

The problem occurs when we suffer a loss of power for an extended period of time.  When power is restored, the devices all start up automatically.

The 1231 and 1242 APs power up and connect to the switches with no troubles.

The 1252 APs power up fine, but don't connect to the switch correctly.  If I manually putz with the switch port settings (duplex and speed), I can usually get them to finally connect, but I can't seem to find any combination of duplex and speed (for both the switch port and the AP) that will enable these things to connect properly by themselves.

I don't know if it's truly a duplex/speed configutation issue, or if the problem might be related ot the fact that the APs power up more quickly than the switch does, causing the APs to just "give up" trying to connect to the switch.

All thoughts and opinions appreciated!

2 Replies 2

susan.brady
Level 1
Level 1

So, I guess the real question is this:  for 1252 APs and the 3548 switch, what should the duplex/speed be set to on the AP as well as the switch?  DO I set it all to AUTO, speficy duplex and speed on 1 device but not the other, specify duplex and speed on both, etc.

And secondly, is it possible the AP is "timing out" searching for the switch and if so, is there a setting I cna change on the AP to tell it to keep looking?

Thanks!

There should not be any specific settings , make both devices  set as auto/auto for speed and duplex

and also make sure you have portfast on the switchport if the AP is using a dhcp address and not a hardcode

d address.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card