cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring two 6509s to share VLANS and NW resources

belenkym89
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have a 6509 Sup2 MFC CatOS in place and just bought a 6509 E with Sup720 IOS version. I want these two switches to communicate with each other and am wondering if I could set up approximately 10 ports as trunks between the two switches to provide approximately a 10 gig pipe to share Vlan information and network resources between the two of them.

Or if anyone can send me a decent link of sample configuration 6509s that are linked together would be very helpful. I'm searching around and am not really finding anything that can answer my question directly.

Thanks in advance.

5 Replies 5

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Sure it is called etherchannel , not sure how many links you can have in a etherchannel I know it is at least 8 which should be more than enough for almost all instances . You will probably want to trunk certain vlans across that also , just go to the main cisco webpage and search on configuring etherchannel and trunking.

Thanks, I'll check cisco's page for etherchannel and trunking.

Do I need specific modules to run etherchannel or can I use my 48 port LC fiber blade?

Anand Narayana
Level 6
Level 6

Hi Belenky,

this is the configuration on etherchannel on 6500 series switches(CatOS)

eg. for 3 ports combing in to 1 logical 3 Gbps port.(449 is the admin group #, u can wish & it not that u can have only 449, whomsoever on the same admin group will be considered as a single logical channel)

set port channel 3/3-5 449

set trunk 3/3 on dot1q 1-1005,1025-4094

set trunk 3/4 on dot1q 1-1005,1025-4094

set trunk 3/5 on dot1q 1-1005,1025-4094

set port channel 3/3-5 mode on

the same can be configured on the other end of the catalyst switch, its not that the ports should be continuous, it can be on any module in a same switch.

hope this helps.

rate this post if cleared.

Can you configure etherchannel on regular Fiber modules "WS-X6748-SFP" or do you need to have modules specifically for etherchannel?

yeah that would be a problem, etherchannel is not restricted for any specific modules, it is juz restricted that either u can user FE to FE or GE to GE & NOT FE to GE or GE to FE.

hope this helps.

rate this post if satisfied.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card