cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting core switches

Shemi
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, complete newbie here. I am following the CBT Nuggets CCNA course and am trying to connect all my equipment up. In regards to the core switches, I have 2 X 3750v2 switches acting as core 1 and core 2. In the course Jeremy connects these up using sfp modules and a fibre cable. Are there any alternatives to this that don't require me buying anything else?

Screenshot_20221217-000752.png

 ore switches 

8 Replies 8

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For a lab, you should be able to use just your "ordinary" copper RJ45 connections.

Remember, SFP and fiber are still Ethernet.  Logically, no different from copper connections.  Physically, sometimes uplink/SFP ports have "better" hardware supporting the port, but often, logically, they configure mostly the same as all your other Ethernet ports.

Ah, ok. That makes sense. I wasn't sure if there was a specific reason to use fibre optic cables for the core switches so you've answered that for me.

I'm assuming I will need to make up some crossover cables to connect up the switches? Is there a convention in how you connect up core switches regarding what interfaces to use?

I'm getting the feeling I may be overthinking it and they just need connecting in any way that means that if one switch went down, the other would still work. Am I on the right track?

Hello

@Shemi wrote:

I'm assuming I will need to make up some crossover cables to connect up the switches? Is there a convention in how you connect up core switches regarding what interfaces to use?

not necessarily if the switches interfaces support MDIX which will automatically detect the connection cable type it requires.

sh interface capabilities 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Very helpful, thanks. 

" I wasn't sure if there was a specific reason to use fibre optic cables for the core switches so you've answered that for me."

Possibly just for the experience of using it.  Remember, though, the principle reason (but not the only reasons) we use fiber is for longer distances.

"I'm assuming I will need to make up some crossover cables to connect up the switches?"

Possibly not, as @paul driver has already noted, some switches support auto MDI/MDI-X, i.e. you can use straight through or cross over cables.  However, often this feature requires the switch's port to be in auto bandwidth/duplex mode to function.

"Is there a convention in how you connect up core switches regarding what interfaces to use?"

An "it depends" answers.  Mentioned in my prior post, often edge type switches' uplink ports are "better" (usually for handling sustained loads) than other ports.  (NB: one reason why there are "copper" SFPs.  I.e. less expensive media for using a "better" port.)  Distribution and/or core ports, might all be "equal" or not, often with those much depends on the particular "module" hosting the ports.

"I'm getting the feeling I may be overthinking it and they just need connecting in any way that means that if one switch went down, the other would still work. Am I on the right track?"

On the right track?  I believe so.  Of course, L2 and/or L3 need to be properly configured to use different paths.

Thank you for the detailed reply, really helpful.

you can use normal copper connectivity. fiber is not must for LAB environment. 

Please rate this and mark as solution/answer, if this resolved your issue
Good luck
KB

Great, thank you 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card