Views
Helpful
Replies

Connectivity issues between Cisco 6509 and Hyper-V host

dtran
Level 6
Level 6

Hi all,hope everyone is doing well !!!

I have an interesting issue and am looking for inputs/suggestions on how to go about fixing this interesting scenario.

I have a very old 6509 running CATOS with a few Cisco 3650 stacks uplink to it. I've got a Hyper-V host connecting to the 6509 on a trunk link. I can ping the Hyper-V guest system or VM from a device that connects to the 3650 stack on a different subnet but I can not ping the VM from a device that connects to the 3650 that's on the same subnet as the VM and I can ping the VM from a device connects to the 6509 that's on the same subnet as the VM.

Example: a laptop on the same subnet as the VM connects the 3650 stack can not ping the VM but if I move the laptop to the 6509 I can ping the VM successfully. And I can ping other devices (outside of Hyper-V) from my laptop connects to the 3650 stack.

Thank you all very much in advance !! I appreciate any inputs/suggestions.

Danny

2 Replies 2

check the Hyper-V teaming, this can led to loss connectivity.
check the port channel status in 6500 

Hi MHM, thanks for responding !!!

There is no port-channel in this scenario .... just a single trunk link between the 6509 and Hyper-V and all VLANs are allowed on the trunk port in the 6509.

Hyper-V connects to 6509
1. Laptop and Hyper-V on same subnet with laptop connects to 3650 - ping fails
2. Laptop and Hyper-V on same subnet with laptop connects to 6509 - ping successful
3. Laptop connects to 3650 can ping any devices outside of Hyper-V

Danny

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card