Views
Helpful
Replies

Controller port error

divine007
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a cisco 3560 switch PoE, with cisco ip phones connected to it.at times they go all OFF when i try to verify i get this

3w6d: %ILPOWER-3-CONTROLLER_PORT_ERR: Controller port error, Interface Gi0/15: Power given, but Power Controller does not report Power Good

3w6d: %ILPOWER-3-CONTROLLER_PORT_ERR: Controller port error, Interface Gi0/15: Power given, but Power Controller does not report Power Good

And when i restart the switch everything becomes normal.

What can i do, is there any command that i can use to remedy this situation

Thanks

6 Replies 6

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

%ILPOWER-3-CONTROLLER_PORT_ERR:

Controller port error, Interface Fa0/7:Power given, but link is not up.

This message means that the PoE controller has detected a port error.

Recommended Action:

Find out more about the error by using the show tech-support privileged  EXEC command and by copying the error message exactly as it appears on the console or system  log and entering it in the Output Interpreter tool. Use the Bug Toolkit to look for similar reported  problems. For more information about these online tools and about contacting Cisco, see the  "Error  Message Traceback Reports" section for more information.

Related documents-

No specific documents apply to this error message

There are some bugs around this issue depending on your version, but given the ciscumstances you may need to open a tac case

Hi Divine,

%ILPOWER-3-CONTROLLER_PORT_ERR (x1): Controller port error, Interface [chars]:[chars].

Explanation: A fault condition was detected on the power controller. An port error has been reported by the inline power controller.
Recommended Action would be,

1. Make sure that the devices are correctly grounded. 2. Check the speed/duplex setting on the remote end of the connection. 3. Perform a shutdown and no shutdown on interface [chars]. 4. If the device is not an IP Phone - disable inline power on this port. 5. If the error message continues: There are several know bugs related to this message such as CSCeb24148. Check the Bug Toolkit for bugs relevant to this device and software version.

Hope this answer helps.

Cheers
Somu

Pls rate this answer if it was helpful.

smogra
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Enable the debugging and check if you see any useful results.

debug ilpower port

debug ilpower powerman

But since you said, you you restart the device, everything comes back up normal, I guess it is some bug causing this problem.

Look for the known caveats for the IOS you are using or use bug toolkit to find out what bug your IOS might be hitting.

Cheers

Sweta

Please rate the answer if the content was useful.

We too are facing the exact issue except that we have not tried to restart the switch yet. If I unplug a working phone and connect it back it wont power on. The sh ip int br too shows the port down with the error  %ILPOWER-3-CONTROLLER_PORT_ERR: Controller port error, Interface  Gi0/15: Power given, but Power Controller does not report Power Good.

I am kinda scared that if I restart the switch, none of the poe devices will power on . We have C3750 48port switch with IOS 12.2(35) SE5.

Surprisingly the issue was resolved on its own. We didnt have to restart the switch or do any upgrade. Wierd to know that Cisco devices behave strangely at times.

Regards

neither the first nor the last time this has ever happened in networking.

might want to just walk through how the build power gets to the switch

"Cleared on testing" is the correct answer to any questions....

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card