Views
Helpful
Replies

Copy config from Cisco 3750G 24-Port to Cisco 3750X 48-Port Switch

dcgtechnologies
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am trying to figure out if it is possible to copy the config from a Cisco 3750G 24 Port to a Cisco 3750X 48-Port Switch. This is for a switch replacement. Does anyone know the proper steps to get this done? I understand you can can use a TFTP server, but is it even possible without going through each line of the config and manually doing it. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

15 Replies 15

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @dcgtechnologies ,

I have done it manually in some routers doing a #show run and copying all the configurations.
Then paste the result to a notepad.
Edit the necessary.
In the new device paste the already edited in global configuration mode (config)#
Then I should just leave up the necessary ports.

Regards

How do I copy it back to the new switch once I edit it? Thank you.

Hi @dcgtechnologies ,

In the new device, advance to global configuration mode:
R (config) #
In that mode, you just have to paste the notepad settings.
The new device will place the configurations where appropriate.
Then, you just have to go to the interfaces and enter no shutdown.

I hope that is useful for you

Regards

Hello

open a terminal session via something like putty 

enable logging on the putty session window to save a file to your desktop

Within the switch set the terminal monitor length to 0 and the perform a show run and anyother command you need 

once completed close session and you will then have the run configuration saved to the file you created - 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hello...What commands do I need to run to copy the config to the 3750X? Thank you.

here is the easy steps :

1. Login  to 3750G old switch using Putty or Secure CRT, 

2. Type #show run

3. Copy all the output, paste in notepad  and discconnect ssh session from old switch 3750G

4. change as per your requirement of the config using notepad

5. connect to 3750X new switch using SSH or console depends on your availability of the device access.

6. finish basic steps of 3750X 

7. once you have prompt #

8. type config t

9. paste the config as you have tweaked in the notepad ( make sure you paste 10-15lins at time, so you can see any errors- rather pasting all config.)

10. once you able to paste config all with out any errors

11. type end

12. Wr to save the config. ready to put in production and test it.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Do you copy the self signed certificate as well from the other switch? Thank you.

create one for the new device.

BB

How do I create one?

I can get to everything on my LAN, but the IP Interface on both switches do not work.

I am getting a VLAN mismatch between the uplinks....How do I set the native VLAN on the switch?

So I got it up and running but, I am wondering why I have two sets of Gigabitethernet Interfaces on this switch. They are GigabitEthernet1/0/1-48 and GigabitEthernet3/0/1-48. I had to configure GigabitEthernet3/0/1 in order to get everything to work. Do you know why this is like this on this switch? How do I use GigabitEthernet1/0/1 and delete GigabitEthernet3/0/1? Thank you for all your help.

adding to other comments, You need to tell us what is exiting switch stack have how many switches, and new switch stack have how many switches.

show us you config also and error what you seeing ? post the log to understand the issue,.

BB

Most of the suggestions have focused on doing show run, copy the screen output into a file, edit the file, and paste the edited file into the new switch. I will note that it should also be possible to use the copy command on the original switch to use tftp (or ftp) to copy the config to a tftp/ftp server, edit the file, configure an interface with IP on the new switch, and use the copy command to use tftp (or ftp) to copy the edited file to the new switch. 

The important part of the process is about editing the config file. For the most part you should be able to transfer the config from one switch to the other (since they are both 3750). There are some things that I would suggest that you should remove from the config before you transfer it to the new switch:

- there is a line with version information. The new switch is almost certainly not the same version as the old switch. So take this out and let the new switch use its own version information.

- there may be some type of boot system commands. The new switch is probably not running the same code as the original switch. So take this out and let the new switch perform its own selection of image file. Or edit the command to reflect the image information of the new switch.

- I suggest that you remove any config entries related to certificates.

- there may be some command with license information (and containing the device serial number). So take this out and let the new switch use its own information.

- there may be a command for ntp clock-period. This is a calculated value for the original switch. Take this out and let the new switch calculate its own value.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card