cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Copy config from old switch to new switch

helpwithcisco
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 2960 24 port switch. I need to take the current config and put it on the new 48 port 2960 switch.

Copy and paste of the txt file is not working. I get lots of errors. I read that this should work.  I am using tera term and did changed the "delay per line" from 10 -50ms and that didnt work.

What am I missing?

Thanks for your help

15 Replies 15

vvijaysa
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Mandy,

Please refer the following section on the webpage for further details on how to do.

Copying Configuration Files By Using TFTP

How this will help,

Thanks,

Vijay

Mandy

We do not have enough information to give you good answers. You tell us that you get lots of errors. But you do not tell us anything about what kind of errors. If we knew what kind of errors it would help us understand the problem and perhaps to give you better answers.

It would also be helpful to know what version of code and what feature set was running on the 24 port switch and what version of code and what feature set is running on the 48 port switch. It could be possible that the 24 port switch has features that are not available on the 48 port switch due to differences in code version or in feature set.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

The errors I get are syntax errors when it is pasting the commands from the txt file. The 24 port switch shows version12.2, and so does the 48 port switch. How do I see what feature set is running?

Mandy

Probably the easiest way to see the feature set would be to post the output of show version from both switches. It might also be helpful if you post the output of show boot.

It might also give us some insight if you would post one or two of the commands that are being pasted in and producing the error messages.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

This is the 24 port switch

Cisco IOS Software, C2960S Software (C2960S-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 12.2(53)SE2, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2010 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Wed 21-Apr-10 06:08 by prod_rel_team
Image text-base: 0x00003000, data-base: 0x01B00000

ROM: Bootstrap program is Alpha board boot loader
BOOTLDR: C2960S Boot Loader (C2960S-HBOOT-M) Version 12.2(53r)SE, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

SeattleSW uptime is 36 weeks, 1 day, 11 hours, 31 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System restarted at 19:45:48 MST Sat Nov 10 2012
System image file is "flash:/c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-53.SE2/c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-53.SE2.bin"

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United
States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and
use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply
third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.
Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for
compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you
agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable
to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:
http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto/tool/stqrg.html

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to
export@cisco.com.

cisco WS-C2960S-24PS-L (PowerPC) processor (revision B0) with 131072K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FOC1441Z764
Last reset from power-on
1 Virtual Ethernet interface
1 FastEthernet interface
28 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces
The password-recovery mechanism is enabled.

512K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.
Base ethernet MAC Address       : EC:C8:82:30:D1:00
Motherboard assembly number     : 73-11908-06
Power supply part number        : 341-0393-01
Motherboard serial number       : FOC144209TD
Power supply serial number      : LIT134801DS
Model revision number           : B0
Motherboard revision number     : A0
Model number                    : WS-C2960S-24PS-L
Daughterboard assembly number   : 73-11933-04
Daughterboard serial number     : FOC14416TKD
System serial number            : FOC1441Z764
Top Assembly Part Number        : 800-30945-02
Top Assembly Revision Number    : A0
Version ID                      : V02
CLEI Code Number                : COMGE00ARB
Daughterboard revision number   : A0
Hardware Board Revision Number  : 0x01

Switch Ports Model              SW Version            SW Image
------ ----- -----              ----------            ----------
*    1 28    WS-C2960S-24PS-L   12.2(53)SE2           C2960S-UNIVERSALK9-M

Configuration register is 0xF

This is the 48 port switch

Cisco IOS Software, C2960S Software (C2960S-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 12.2(55)SE5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2012 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Thu 09-Feb-12 19:22 by prod_rel_team
Image text-base: 0x00003000, data-base: 0x01B00000

ROM: Bootstrap program is Alpha board boot loader
BOOTLDR: C2960S Boot Loader (C2960S-HBOOT-M) Version 12.2(55r)SE, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

seattle uptime is 46 minutes
System returned to ROM by power-on
System image file is "flash:/c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE5/c2960s-universalk9-mz.122-55.SE5.bin"

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United
States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and
use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply
third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.
Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for
compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you
agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable
to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:
http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto/tool/stqrg.html

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to
export@cisco.com.

cisco WS-C2960S-48LPS-L (PowerPC) processor (revision E0) with 131072K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FOC1627Y5NH
Last reset from power-on
1 Virtual Ethernet interface
1 FastEthernet interface
52 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces
The password-recovery mechanism is enabled.

512K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.
Base ethernet MAC Address       : 0C:D9:96:84:61:80
Motherboard assembly number     : 73-11907-08
Power supply part number        : 341-0393-02
Motherboard serial number       : FOC16263730
Power supply serial number      : DCA1624U1KE
Model revision number           : E0
Motherboard revision number     : A0
Model number                    : WS-C2960S-48LPS-L
Daughterboard assembly number   : 73-11933-04
Daughterboard serial number     : FOC1627487N
System serial number            : FOC1627Y5NH
Top Assembly Part Number        : 800-30937-03
Top Assembly Revision Number    : A0
Version ID                      : V03
CLEI Code Number                : COMGZ00ARC
Daughterboard revision number   : A0
Hardware Board Revision Number  : 0x01

Switch Ports Model              SW Version            SW Image
------ ----- -----              ----------            ----------
*    1 52    WS-C2960S-48LPS-L  12.2(55)SE5           C2960S-UNIVERSALK9-M

Configuration register is 0xF

I think the part of the config it doesnt like is the crypto pki certificate section.

Mandy

Thanks for the additional information. It clearly shows that the 48 port switch is running similar code (and somewhat newer) than the 24 port switch. So syntax compatibility should not be an issue.

It does probably make sense that the part of the config that might not just transfer between switches would be the pki certificate part. The pki certificates typically reflect parameters that are local to the switch, most especially the generated RSA keys. So it makes sense that the pki certificate generated for one switch might not work on the other switch.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

mfurnival
Level 4
Level 4

As Vijay suggested - it is better to upload a config via TFTP rather than cutting and pasting to a terminal window. You will often get errors and not be able to see which parts of the config have been applied successfully.

You may need to generate a new crypto key on your new switch with the command:

#conf t

#crypto key gen rsa

Ok. I was able to paste all if it while keeping the crypto key part out. I only got an invalid command on 3 lines so I will have to figure out why it didnt like those commands.

Thanks

Mandy

That is good progress

Hopefully the three commands will be easy to figure out. If you need help you can post the output where you pasted the command and it was rejected. We probably can help you if we knew exactly what the commands were.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I know have my two 2960 switches identical when I do a show run on both. I can print out the configs for both and they look exactly the same. Is that a good sign? Will I be ok when I switch them out?

Ok, you are copying the config from one 2960S to another 2960S, right?  Since the 48-port unit doesn't have a config, I presume either one of them (or both) are sitting within arms reach, right?

Let's make things alot simpler.  Do you have a spare USB stick?  Copy the config into the USB stick, make corrections, copy the new config to the new switch.

Leo,

I did not know you could save the config to a USB stick. Good to know. I do not have both next to me, only the new one. I am accessing the config of the one being replaced remotely. It is not in this location. I am trying to have the new switch ready to go when I get there so all I have to do is swap them out.

I will research how to save the config to USB and make sure I have copies of all my configs.

Thanks!

Hi Mandy,

Here's a few rule-of-thumb when you are using a USB stick to copy file(s) to and from an appliance or even boot a switch or router:

1.  NOT ALL USB ARE SUPPORTED;

2.  Maximum size, particularly when you're talking about 2960S/X, 3750X, 3850, is about 8- to 16 Gb;

3.  Format the USB stick first using FAT16 or insert the USB into the switch's USB slot and issue the command "format usbflash0:"

In regards to #1, it's easier for you to go to your electronics shop buy, say, two 8 Gb from different manufacturers and test either one.  Once you're able to determine which one is working, then you can proceed.

Which brings to another important thing, let's just say you found Brand "X", 8 Gb USB is supported and is working, you might make conclusion that Brand "X"''s 16 Gb will be supported?  NOT TRUE all the time.  So be careful.

Say, you want to copy the file from the USB stick to your switch via USB, the command is "copy usbflash0:filename.ext flash:".

If you want to copy the configuration from the USB to the running-config of your switch, then it's "copy usbflash0:filename.extension runn".

You want to copy the running-config from the switch to the USB, then it's "copy runn usbflash0:filename.extension".  Alternatively, you can also use "sh runn | redirect usbflash0:filename.extension".

Mandy

If the two show runs look exactly the same then that is a good sign. If the configs are the same then it should be ok when you swap the new one for the old one.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card