cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

copying config from 7206 to 7600 , but some is not accepted !

Dr.X
Level 2
Level 2

hi ,

i have a 7206 router to be used as a gateway for internet

router 7206 inerfaces are connected directly to cisco switch 2960g

note that 7600 work only at 1 gega , and cant be used for 10 or 10 .

im looking forward to use router 7600 instaed of 7206

i copied the config of 7206 and pased in 7600 but some commands which are under interfaces command was not accepted

here is the config which as not accepted in 7600 router

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

duplex auto

speed auto

media-type rj45

negotiation auto

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

note that the 4 lines above was not accpted in 7600.

my question is , does these commands will affect the new config ???

i just want to ask before im trying to apply this config to production network

regards

3 Replies 3

saljam100
Level 1
Level 1

Dear Ahmed

As far as your question is concern will these four lines does any affect ???

well if you are trying to configure these command under the copper based interface like FastEthernet or Giga interface then it doesn't make any effect because only one command "media-type rj45" is something that you are forcefully tellling the router to use electric signal and not to use optical.........so if you are trying to configure these command under any fiber based (optical) interface but you will suppose to use electric (normal etherenet) cable then this command should be configured as you know many Cisco platforms give you an option to use either fiber or copper media type and it provide you both interfaces but at same time only one could be an active....

more you can work around with the supported IOS of 7600 to use these commands (if your situation is so that you have to use ethernet (copper) interface instead of fiber).

If you have still any confusion do let me know and also let me know about the media you was using in 7200 and what will be the media type you are going to use in 7600.

Dont forget to rate if its helpfull.

Regards

Salman

as i understood ,

the commands

###########

duplex auto

speed auto

negotiation auto

############

will not make any problems .

thanks mr salman

regards

yes these three command donot have any effect untill or unless you specifically configure the " duplex mode" or "speed" or " negotiation mode" if you didn't configure any of three fields on other side leave it as it is this will not cause any problem but beware of " media-type rj45 " command if you configure this you have to use copper media to terminate on the interface.

okay.

Regards

Salman

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card