Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Copying config from flash to NVRAM (start-up config) Catalyst 3560 v2 PoE-24

Dear community,

I'm currently working on a Catalyst 3560 v2 PoE-24 switch. I'm trying to make an easy guide on how to configure them. Our Servicedesk is used to working with Accespoints and configuring them by uploading a text config to flash and overwriting current config with the new config. I've decided that it would be practical to learn them the same trick for this respective switch. However, im running into trouble:

I've connected the switch through a Cisco Console Cable to my commport. I use hyperterminal to make a serial connection (9600 baud, 8 databits, no parity, 1 stopbits, no flowcontrol) to reach CLI. On the switch I am in Enabled mode. I gave in the following commands:

"copy xmodem: flash:" 

Destination Filename [ ]?

"1430SW01.txt"

Begin the Xmodem or Xmodem-1K transfer now

Here I upload a .txt file which I intend to use as the config: 1430SW01 (I use the "Send file" option with protocol Xmodem) I Name the file:

1430SW01.txt

Upload successful..

"Copy flash: startup-config" (Here I tell the switch, copy FROM flash TO Nvram)

Source Filename? 

"1430SW01.txt"

destination filename [startup-config]?

"Enter"

Upload successful..

"show startup-config" Now I check if it's succesful: it shows the old config.

"reload" It still show the old config.

What am I missing here? This should work right?

Thanks in advance. 

Regards,

Kim

9 Replies 9

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

try copy startup to the running config then save , if startup config looks ok

sh startup-config

copy startup-config running-config

wr

Thanks for your reply. 

This did not work for me. This is because the startup-config is never altered. After I give the command: "copy flash: startup-config" and specify which file I want, the startup-config is not altered. So it would have no use to copy the startup to running.

If I tell the switch 

When I give the command: "copy flash: running-config" the specified config is not put in the running config: It gives me an error. The current config is much like the config I'm trying to upload. So it tells me that some of configuration options im trying to put in, are already configured. 

Hi,

You need to change the file extension of your file to .confg or -confg based on this link I found...

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/12_2/configfun/configuration/guide/ffun_c/fcf007.html#wp1001357

hth

Hi,

Thanks for your answer. This did not work. Also, i tried finding where it states that the extension should be ".confg" I couldn't find this anywhere?

regards,

Kim

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thanks for your response.

This is definitly worth looking into.

However this does not answer my question how to copy a config from flash to running/startup-config, correct?

No.  This will automate the way you configure switches. 

Leo,

This is a scenario I would want to work towards. However, I currently do not have the possibility to share a TFTP server with my servicedesk. It's obviously not a resource problem, but a policy issue. So this will a future project, when we have permission.

Thanks for your input.

regards,

Kim

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card