Views
Helpful
Replies

Copying configuration across 2 identical Catalyst 3850+

Hi there,

Just to clarify :

On top of synchronising two switches together to sync the same config across,

in case this is not possible,

what is the best other way to simply copy the exact same configuration from one switch to another ?

Like from SW1 (production one) to SW2 (backup/spare SW to be ready to go in case SW1 fails)

thank you so much.

7 Replies 7

jasoblac
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

original switch - pop in a USB drive

copy startup-config usb0: (may be different, use "show file systems" to what usb is called - differs on diff platforms)

move usb to second switch, on second switch:

copy usb0:startup-config running-config

wr mem

"copy usb0:startup-config running-config"

BTW, this copy doesn't replace, it does a merge, so your result might not be identical to what the source switch had.

Alternatives include, after the forgoing copy, do a config difference between the usb config and running.  Copy the usb config to startup-config and reload.  If supported, use use the config replace command.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

For any production device, ideally you should have a current copy of its config stored somewhere.

So, in SW1 fails, you just load its identical hardware replacement with the latest stored config.

Notice I didn't describe where the backup config copies are stored or how they are stored.  That's up to you.  But wherever you store them, you should have a way to also load them onto another device (without too much difficulty).

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Always take the backup and if the same model of the switch you replacing, just add the config to new switch.

if the ongoing changes on the Live switch, always use backup server to backup config every night (so you can replace the switch with known good config)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@pdenableetoavit19698 wrote:
in case this is not possible

NOTE:  

I am getting annoyed with all of your threads for the same issue.  

You are hiding vital information from all of the people trying to help you.  

Why is this not possible?  

sorry @Leo Laohoo to me I saw them as different questions as you can see from the different answers I get from one thread to the other. Also this are two different situations, although with same equipment and similar situation. Maybe I could have presented differently and will definitely try harder next time. Thanks a lot again for this feedback but especially for all your answers to the questions.

@Leo Laohoo wrote:

@pdenableetoavit19698 wrote:
in case this is not possible

NOTE:  

I am getting annoyed with all of your threads for the same issue.  

You are hiding vital information from all of the people trying to help you.  

Why is this not possible?  

no stack cable available atm

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card