Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Creating a VLAN on Cisco catalyst express 520

Hello,

I am switching over from Netgear to Cisco, our Netgear has our VLAN's already configured and I need to configure them on the Cisco Switch. I can create the VLAN with the cisco network management software but I am having a hard time when connecting our phone server and IP phones to the switch. Currently on the Netgear switch we have a 192.168.20.1 for voice and 192.168.77.1 for data. I want to delete the .77 network and only set up the .20 VLAN, the ports our shoretel server is  plugged into on the on the Netgear on the voice the ports are untagged, I tried doing this with the cisco but it will not pass traffic. I am stuck as I

10 Replies 10

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

I have never used Cisco 520 with express software before but if it is just like any other switch, you simply configure vlan 20 and than configure all ports as access port (untagged) and put them in vlan 20.

HTH

Thank You Reza

would the ports in vlan 20 that are (untagged) only be the ports that my shoretel server is plugged into and would it be under the vlan or voice vlan setting?

thank You for your help

So, usually most engineers setup 2 vlans, one for voice and one for data. This is assuming you are connecting the laptops to phones. That said, you can also put everything on voice vlan but you have to check with Shoretel  to make sure it works that way.

Reading your first post, I think your old Netgear switch had 2 vlans one for voice and one for data and you should probably do the same on the Cisco switch.

https://networklessons.com/cisco/ccna-routing-switching-icnd1-100-105/voice-vlan

HTH

So if I am following correctly I should not eliminate the 192.168.77.0/24 Vlan as that is my data side currently, even know my default subnet at the site is 192.168.177. 0/24. I should create that vlan in the switch as well.

yes you need both the VLAN for Voice and Data to be created respectively.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello,

I am still stuck, I can pass data but the phone still say's no service. I have attached a photo of where I am at currently. Port's 3&4 are incoming from my shoretel server for our phone system, port 1 is my main incoming from our server port 2 is an IP phone with computer attached to the phone and as I mentioned the I am able to access the internet even know the phone says no service. I feel I am close there is just something small preventing our phone system to communicate with the phones.

Thank You for your help.

Here is the photo I referenced in my previous post.

Thank You

phone still say's no service --- (as per my understanding) this measn phone not registering with you VOIP Server ? you need DHCP Options to register with VOIP Server ?

what phone is this, what VOIP Server in the network ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

We have shoretel ip480 phones, our server is a st50a with AT&T service

I got the VLAN set up now I am having another problem some of my phones work some don't as they are trying to get an ip address from the router. I think the problem is that my servers 192.168.20.12 & .13 are being given out by the switch, is there a way to make it so the Cisco switch doesn't try to give these addresses out?
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card