cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cutover issue of Mailserver on Cisco 6500 switch

rwaqanitoga
Level 1
Level 1

We had issues cutting over our outgoing(smtp) mailserver on a vlan on 6500 switch.

The cutover looked simple by unplugging the old smtp box and plug in the new smtp box using the ip address of the old smtp server.

We waited for more than half an hour and tracing the maillog but there were no mails passing through...

I suspect could be related to CAM table or arp related issues.

Please help in isolating this issue. I am looking forward to your favorable reply to this matter.

Best Regards,

Ruveni

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When you connected the new server, did the link light on the switch turned on?  Is the interface that the server connected to in up an up mode? Are you able to ping the default gateway from the server? Just to be sure you can login to the switch and clear the ARP table for that interface for example:

clear arp interface gigabitEthernet 1/0/1

HTH

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When you connected the new server, did the link light on the switch turned on?  Is the interface that the server connected to in up an up mode? Are you able to ping the default gateway from the server? Just to be sure you can login to the switch and clear the ARP table for that interface for example:

clear arp interface gigabitEthernet 1/0/1

HTH

Hi Sharifi,

Thanks mate! yes light was turned on switchport, server interface was up up, able to ping default gateway...

I guess that was the command I was missing "clear arp int gix/x/x

Our next cutover is shedulled this weekend...I hope with that command we will resolve that 'issue' we faced last time.

I will confirm to you once we complete the next trial of cutover...

Best Regards.

Ruveni

Thanks Reza!!

Our cutover in the weekend went smoothlly as we applied that 'clear arp command...""

Cheers mate!!

Ruveni

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card