Helpful
Replies

default GW as a second hop

Jaro
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all, 

I have a one (stupid) question.

I have default gw in our infrastructure, on FW and before that firewall, there is a SW with VLAN, and I need add IP address to this VLAN due to some changes in our network, Now it will be by this way 

FW(IP)-----(SW-Vlan-IP)-----host(IP) -this host will have default gw of FW, is it okay?

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

You've two options:

1) Include a route on the host which directs traffic to the FW IP via the SW-VLAN SVI

2) Configure proxy ARP on the switch so that it ARPs for the FW IP

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/dynamic-address-allocation-resolution/13718-5.html

cheers,

Seb.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

You've two options:

1) Include a route on the host which directs traffic to the FW IP via the SW-VLAN SVI

2) Configure proxy ARP on the switch so that it ARPs for the FW IP

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/dynamic-address-allocation-resolution/13718-5.html

cheers,

Seb.

Hello, 

Thanks for answer, so if I set default GW (FW) on host it is not enough, I have to make route or proxy ?

I need to do it because of Microsoft NLB on Nexus.

Yes, with just a default route set to forward traffic to the FW, the host will have no knowledge of how to reach the FW IP address in its routing table.

Hello

If the switch is performing inter-vlan  routing (L3) then give the host a G/W address of the SW ip,

If the switch isnt performing inter-vlan  and all three are on the same network then give the host a G/W of the FW.

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Moses Fernandes
Level 1
Level 1

FW(IP)-----(SW-Vlan-IP)-----host(IP) -this host will have default gw of FW, is it okay?

Hello,

It will be nice if you mention the IP addresses of the devices involved in your setup (from start to end) Or at least what you intend them to be.

This will stop the experts from assuming things and start giving you the correct solution in shortest amount of time/replies.

And don't forget to mark helpful posts.

Regards,

Moses

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card