Views
Helpful
Replies

Default Route in Trunk Link

yylength
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

This is my first time to raise a question here. I bump into a question where a host with VLAN interfaces connects to a L3 switch through a trunk link, and the L3 switch serve as the gateway. SVIs are configured on the L3 switch do perform inter-VLAN routing.

IP addresses of the server

VLAN1: 192.168.1.1/24

VLAN2: 192.168.1.2/24

IP addresses of the switch (SVI)

VLAN1: 192.168.1.254/24

VLAN2: 192.168.2.254/24

VLAN3: 192.168.3.254/24

(VLAN 3 is used to connect to other networks)

Here comes my question. If my server needs to connect to other networks, It will need a default gateway. Should I use 192.168.1.254 or 192.168.2.254 as its default gateway? To the best of my knowledge, these two SVIs are fundamentally the same. Is there any design consideration or convention?

Any reply would be appriciated. Thank you.

3 Replies 3

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hey use the ip address of the vlan interface this should be the servers gateway

the server will hit the gateway and the L3 switch once enabled for ip routing will allow the server to communicate with other vlans if required

VLAN1: 192.168.1.1/24 ---gateway 192.168.1.254/24

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello,

With configuration template you have provided, VLAN 1 host shoudl be having gateway 192.168.1.254 and VLAN 2 192.168.2.254 and VLAN 3 host should have gateway as 192.168.3.254 and are configred on respective vlan in switch.

so that switch can perfom inter vlan routing based on vlan configired to hosts.

Hope it Helps..

-GI

Rate if it Helps..

The responses so far seem to assume that we are dealing with simple host connections where the host has a single nic and a single IP address. If I am  understanding the original post correctly he is asking about a situation where he has a server and the server is configured to do dot1Q trunking and where the server has two IP addresses (in two subnets which are trunked to the switch). The question seems to be whether there is any reason to choose one gateway or the other as the next hop for the default route on the server.

Based on what we are told so far I do not believe that there is any reason to prefer one SVI over the other as the next hop for the default route.

HTH

Rick 

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card