Views
Helpful
Replies

Deployment Redundancy Links Differents Lenght

djacksonv
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys!

I am still working on the design of my big project and always that you think that every thing is solve, appears a details.

So, here is a new situation unsolved.

We need to deploy a fiber links to some buildings that will have access switches connected to the Core. I have been reading about ethernet ring topologies and quite differents to the hierarchical model because of the using of Ressilent Ethernet Protocol instead of STP or RSTP.

My question is which of the next to scheme will be the best?

1.- Deployment an ethernet fiber ring topology with REP? Consider that the edge Switch of this ring will be my Core and this one is connected to my distribution switches in a hierarchical topology. In this situation, Acces Switch 1-A is connected to Acces switch 1-B, Access Switch 1-B to 1-C and Switch 1-C to the Core. Feel fre to recomend me wich switches and considerations are the best. We conssider 1 Catalyst 6506 Chasis for the Core and catalyst c2960s-48-TDL for acces, maybe the 3750x series. Each Acces node in the ring topology will have a maximun of 50 end devices.

2.- Deployment a Fiber ring but not connecting each switch with the next. In this case we want to ensure redundancy to the core wih equal costs path, but because of the ring each switch won´t have equal length link to the core. In this situation, Acces Switch 1-A is not connected to Acces Switch 1-B is connected directly to the core but the fiber cable will take the route to Access Switch 1-B, to Acces Switch 1-C and finnally to The Core Switch. This apply to the other to Switches. Note now that Acces Switch 1-A will have a 281 Ft link to the core and a second 1612Ft. link to the core. Here comes the question this differents lenght will negative affect RPVSTP ? or It doesn´t matter? Can i setup an etherchannel/load balance in this situation?

This scheme also apply to the Building 2. Same situation but with an Distribution Switch.

1 Reply 1

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

. Here comes the question this differents lenght will negative affect RPVSTP ? or It doesn´t matter?

It does not matter. The optics can be single mode or multimode or the fiber can be short haul or long haul.

The only 2 things that matters when creating an Etherchannel are speed and duplex.  As long as these 2 are the same you are good to go.

Can i setup an etherchannel/load balance in this situation?

Yes, if you only have one 6506.  Yes, also if you have 2 6506 running VSS. No, if you have 2 6506 with no VSS.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card