Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Destination Host Unreachable on Static Route

I'm a beginner to Packet Tracer, taking my first course on it at college. We recently got into WAN connections and I have been tasked with creating a network with 5 routers, 4 of them connected via Frame Relay, which is working perfectly fine, and the 5th connected to one of the other routers via static routing (which I have done before).

My issue comes with the static route. It is just not connecting. While it seems to be fine and everything is green, when I do a connection test and try to ping a PC from one network to the other, all I get is either destination host unreachable or request timed out. I really don't have any idea what seems to be wrong and would appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

OK I was able to download the file and I was bale to get it to work. Since you are doing all static routes you didnt add the 192.55.2.0/24 address. SO on each router I added the following

ip route 192.55.2.0 255.255.255.0 10.0.1.1 (except RT-SD)

as @luis_cordova said I also removed the encapsulation from the S0/0/0 interface of RT-SD since its not using the frame relay cloud.

Lastly since its the only way out and instead of mapping back to each IP address on the RT-PR I just added the default route of the below:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 11.0.1.1

Hope this was helpful.

-David

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Hello,

I was unable to open the Packet tracer file (probably my end issue). I assume you have a static route from one of the routers connected to frame relay connection going to the router connected behind it. If that's the case and you have a static route to that router but no route on that last router to get back you wont have reachability. You would most likely need some kind of "route back" on that last router since that last router wont know how to get back to the destination trying to ping it. Like a default route. See below.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <next hop IP> which is the interface of the neighbor router heading up to the frame relay connection. 

In the meantime I will work on opening the topology to help tshoot further.

-David

Sorry, the file was a mistake on my end. I'm trying to see how I can upload it but, for the meantime, I'll try your suggestion. How I have it connected is basically: RT1 connected to Cloud via se0/0/1; RT1 connected to RT2 via se0/0/0 (static route). For the Cloud connection, on RT1 I have the IP address of 10.0.1.1 while I have 11.0.1.1 on the other serial for the static route, and an IP of 11.0.2.1 for the other router with the static route connection. At first I tried to assign a 10.0.0.0 connection to se0/0/0 on RT1 but I got an error stating I can't use the same address as the other serial (which, in hindsight, was pretty obvious and me being dumb), so I decided to just use 11.0.1.1. I feel that, somehow, the issue is here, but I just don't know what it could be.

OK I was able to download the file and I was bale to get it to work. Since you are doing all static routes you didnt add the 192.55.2.0/24 address. SO on each router I added the following

ip route 192.55.2.0 255.255.255.0 10.0.1.1 (except RT-SD)

as @luis_cordova said I also removed the encapsulation from the S0/0/0 interface of RT-SD since its not using the frame relay cloud.

Lastly since its the only way out and instead of mapping back to each IP address on the RT-PR I just added the default route of the below:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 11.0.1.1

Hope this was helpful.

-David

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi 

In the S0/0/0 interface of the RT-SD router you are encapsulating frame relay, but in that interface it should not be encapsulated. Remove the encapsulation of that interface and you'll achieve connectivity.

Best regards

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card