cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP for multiple ssid, WLC, packet tracer

trilerian
Spotlight
Spotlight

In packet tracer, I am trying to setup multiple ssid's on a WLC, each on its own vlan.  I would like clients to be able to connect to the ap's and get a dhcp address for the ssid they connect to.  So far, I can only get clients to get a dhcp address from the management vlan, which is the native vlan in the trunk that the ap is on.  I am very new to wifi, so I assumed that the ap's would need to be on a trunk that has all the vlans I want in it, same as the wlc.  I have configured interfaces on the WLC with the ssids and vlan information I want.  I have tried to use the WLC as a dhcp proxy, as I am using an external dhcp server, but when I add an the wlc mangement address as the ip helper to the management interface it doesn't return a dhcp address.  The only way for the ap's to get their address is for me to use the dhcp server as the ip helper. 

I have googling all day, figured I would post here and continue to search.

Thanks for any help. 

6 Replies 6

Hi,

I do not work on Cisco WLC so the information I provide you here could be different (as I work on Controllers from different vendor). Generally, if you configure the WLC with the SSIDs on the correct VLANs and the SVIs are configured on a switch where the DHCP server is configured as well, you do not need DHCP Proxy on the WLC. If the DHCP server is on a different LAN, then you will need DHCP Proxy on each SVI.

The switchport connected with the APs need to be configured as a trunk port with the native VLAN on the AP management VLAN; the AP will get IP address from this VLAN. For clients connected with the SSID (eg. abc-ssid), they will get their IP address from the DHCP server providing IP address for the VLAN (which abc-ssid uses).

If you provide your configurations, we can take a look.

HTH,

Meheretab

HTH,
Meheretab

I am attaching the project.

Thanks for any help.

I removed the dhcp proxy on the wlc, still no go.  The interfaces are configured on the wlc and the wlan ssid are set to the corresponding interface.  The dhcp server has a pool for the addresses.  The trunk ports are allowing all vlans and the management vlan is set to native.  SVIs are configured on the layer 3 switch.  All other dhcp pools work. But like I said, the wifi clients pick up a dhcp address on the native vlan.

Sorry, the switch has a local login. 

admin

Testing

WLC

admin

Admin1

Unfortunately, I do not have PacketTracer. Maybe somebody else will take a look and advise.
I could take a look if you share the configurations though.

Meheretab
HTH,
Meheretab

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Share you packet tracer lab here. So we can identify your concern easily. 

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

trilerian
Spotlight
Spotlight

Still struggling with this, any help would be appreciated.  I am attaching my current packet tracer project. 

Local login enabled on the main switch.  admin/Testing

Password for the wlc admin/Admin1

If you open the lab you will notice that Laptop2 is getting ip address 10.42.1.18, which is on the management vlan.  It should be getting a 192.168.15.x address, which is the vlan that is associated with the internal interface on the wlc.  The DHCP server has a pool for that vlan.  Also the Smartphone should be getting a 192.168.27.x address. It is also picking up a 10.42.1.x address.   

Thanks for any help

Hi,

I want to know if you foundva solution. I have the same problem. On packet Tracer, with wlc, an external DHCP server, the LAP clients receive no DHCP IPs ( error : no DHCP pool configured).

Thanks in advance

Yann

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card