Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP option to allow PXE

gaelfabrice
Level 1
Level 1

HI, could someone help me ?
thi is my actual dhcp pool configuration i would to deploy WDS service in my lan

-------DHCP config
ip dhcp pool vlan10
network 192.16.3.0 255.255.255.0
domain-name feicom.cm
default-router 192.168.6.254
dns-server 192.16.0.90 192.16.0.93
lease 0 7

i would like to configure it so that PXE request works and client could boot from network

here below the changes i made

-------DHCP config
ip dhcp pool vlan10
network 192.16.3.0 255.255.255.0
domain-name feicom.cm
default-router 192.168.6.254
dns-server 192.16.0.90 192.16.0.93
lease 0 7
next-server 192.16.3.10

7 Replies 7

Brandon Buffin
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Try adding options 60 (PXEClient), 66 (PXE server) and 67 (boot file) to the DHCP pool.

option 60 ascii "PXEClient"
option 66 ascii WDS-server.domainname.local option 67 ascii Boot\x86\wdsnbp.com

hi sir @Brandon thx for your reply

please sir i still not understand the  purpose of  using  ascii argument  instead of others 

R1(dhcp-config)#option 60 ?
ascii Data is an NVT ASCII string
hex Data is a hexadecimal string
instance Specify the option instance
ip Data is one or more IP addresses

could you please  please  tell what they are for ? so that  i could  understand their objective and  know  what to choose and  why

-----

i also thinking of setting  option 67 like this

option 67 ascii smsboot\x86\wdsnbp.com smsboot\x64\wdsnbp.com

would  it affect my settings ? or cause any trouble ? as i will also deploy x86  OS

The ascii argument simply indicates a text string. I don't believe you can include both x86 and x64 paths in the same option 67 command. You would need separate DHCP pools

thx i will  check if  PXE works  and  give you a feedback

and  its like  i can incluede both x86 and x64 

Can you explain the option 67 ascii Boot\x86\wdsnbp.com string? Is this where the location of the boot file is? It would be specific to us. I have option 60 on the DHCP pool and going to add 66, is 67 needed?

tdavis85
Level 1
Level 1

I had this same issue and tried the options, but what fixed it for me was adding the next-server command on the DHCP pool instead of using the ip helper on the SVI.  Everything I've always read said to use the ip helper but how I was able to get it to work is to set the 
next-server (PXE server address and DP address)

option 60 ascii "PXEClient"

Adding those two commands to the DHCP scope fixed it for me.  I know this is an old thread but hopefully it helps others in the future.

Sacky Iindombo
Level 1
Level 1

I'm struggling to resolve this problem. 

I'm attempting to deploy PXE boot configurations through our MPLS routers. Only the PXE server is remotely. DHCP servers are local to each each site.

I tried ip helper address x.x.x.x and ip forward-protocol udp 4011 but never worked. Please assist

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card