Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP servers for multiple voice vlans

Hi guys . I have 4 voice vlans and I want to run 4 DHCP pools on 1 Core switch Catalyst 4506 , and questions :

1 What is the maximum amount of the DHCP servers I can run on it ?

2 How many DHCP options on the 1 DHCP pools I can setup (options 242, 176, 66 etc..) ?

3 We have an Avaya Aura system which allow me to run dhcp servers on it too , but it's on the one of the voice vlan ,

I am not sure can I put it (Avaya Aura system ) in DMZ and make it  reachable for all vlan -will not it cause delays or signaling issues for voice  ? 

OR

leave it in that vlan -but can sip phones from another vlans get an ip from it  ?

Thank you and Best regards

2 Replies 2

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

if the DHCP server is on a different subnet then you need a relay-agent to forward the Discover messages to the server.

On Cisco devices this is done by activation dhcp service and using ip helper-address x.x.x.x where x.x.x.x is the IP of the DHCP server and this command is run on the interface getting the Discover messages as broadcast and will transform them as unicast, don't forget that the DHCP server must have a route to the IP address where this command is configured to reply as unicast.

I don't understand your 2 first questions, you only need 1 DHCP service but multiple DHCP pools and you can configure quite a few without any problems, concerning the options you can setup quite a lot as far as I know.

Regards

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

May be I wrote incorrect , I need 4 dhcp pools for 4 voice vlans on one Catalyst 4506 . Here are corrected version :

1 What is the maximum amount of the DHCP pools I can run on it ?

2 How many DHCP options on the 1 DHCP pools I can setup (options 242, 176, 66 etc..) ?

3 We have an Avaya Aura system which allow me to run dhcp servers on it too , but it's on the one of the voice vlan ,

I am not sure can I put it (Avaya Aura system ) in DMZ and make it  reachable for all vlan -will not it cause delays or signaling issues for voice  ?

OR

leave it in that vlan -but can sip phones from another vlans get an ip from it  ?

Thank you and Best regards

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card