Views
Helpful
Replies

DHCP service over single interface

joetholen
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Is it possible for my Catalyst 2960-s to provide DHCP/NAT service over a single interface? There is no other DHCP server on the network. I am thinking there must be a way to do this, maybe with a VLAN to a specific interface on the switch?

I want to have a 172.16.xx.xx DHCP service on just that switch interface, nowhere else. Do these switches know how to do that, or does it have to happen on a router?

I don't think "DHCP Snooping" is what I want, but I'm not entirely sure what "snooping" is.

2 Replies 2

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I've never done it, but I have 2960-S switches as well. The commands to enable dhcp are there, so I'd be curious to see what you can come up with. I would assume that it would only be able to support a single vlan though since there can only be a single management interface, but don't quote me on that.

ip dhcp excluded-address 172.16.10.1 172.16.10.99

ip dhcp pool VLAN1

network 172.16.10.0 255.255.255.0

default-router 172.16.10.1

dns-server 8.8.8.8 4.2.2.1

int vlan 1

ip address 172.16.10.5 255.255.255.0

I would think that anyone in vlan 1 would get the address from this pool, but I would highly recommend that if you have the option, put the dhcp pool on the router. You can support multiple vlans/subnets from it definitely.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

The 2960 series does indeed support DHCP, even for multiple VLANs. However, you will need a router or firewall for NAT capabilities.

Regards,
Mike

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco