Views
Helpful
Replies

Diagnostic monitoring is not implemented error

palashgoyal21
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Everyone, 

I am getting Error for DOM when trying a SFP-10g-zr optic in my ME3600 24 fs Switch, its a third party optics but i have unlocked the switch to support that. Uploading two SS for reference. 

The same SFP works fine in a NEXUS9K switch I have with DOM details. 

can anyone share any tips regarding the issue, thanks 

@Routing

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This Looks for me feature of the IOS code running, can you post the below output :

#show version

#show inter transceiver supported-modules

#show inter transceiver supported-list

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

@palashgoyal21 wrote:

Getting it re-flashed to a LR Optics wont change the distance and functionality of the optic performance ? if possible can you share me the code for customization ?? I have a coding box which can flash the optic,

Re-flashing will only instruct the optics to "self-identify" itself as an LR (instead of a ZR). 

We used this same trick with our ME3800 and ER/ZR.  

We did not do this but, rather, got the manufacturer/vendor to do it for us free of charge.

Oh dear. 

Re-Flashing is a "software" modification only.  Hardware capabilities do not change.  A ZR optics, after reflashing to an LR/ER, will still be a ZR optics (distance-wise).  The optics will just "fool" the switch to say it is an LR/ER but the laser will not change.  

Worked Fine, Thanks 

11 Replies 11

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This Looks for me feature of the IOS code running, can you post the below output :

#show version

#show inter transceiver supported-modules

#show inter transceiver supported-list

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi Balaji, 

I will get that done on Monday, The issue is the optic work completely fine on the Nexus9K and not on Me3600 switch. Any further thoughts or recommendations? 

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Return the optics to the dealer and get them to "re-flash" it.  

I have seen these sort of error messages and it all boils down to how the optics were "flashed".  One of the biggest mistakes people make is during the order they would NOT get the optics flashed for "Cisco".  

3rd party optics resellers will "bend over backwards" and re-flash the optics free of charge.  
Alternatively, get a "re-flasher" like the FS Box.

Hi @Leo Laohoo , 

I already got it re-flashed  optics works on Nexus9K switch and not on ME3600, I have updated the 10G uplink port license on my switch, updated it to latest version, unlocked it to support 3rd part optics. At this point I am not able to diagnose the possible issue. I can see link lights but I am still getting DOM not implemented error.  

Please suggest your thoughts about it, thanks in advance.  

@palashgoyal21 wrote:

I already got it re-flashed  optics works on Nexus9K switch and not on ME3600

Depending on the manufacturer of the optics, ask them if they can re-flash the ZR into an LR.  

Thanks @Leo Laohoo  Getting it re-flashed to a LR Optics wont change the distance and functionality of the optic performance ? if possible can you share me the code for customization ?? I have a coding box which can flash the optic, Thanks for your help again 

@palashgoyal21 wrote:

Getting it re-flashed to a LR Optics wont change the distance and functionality of the optic performance ? if possible can you share me the code for customization ?? I have a coding box which can flash the optic,

Re-flashing will only instruct the optics to "self-identify" itself as an LR (instead of a ZR). 

We used this same trick with our ME3800 and ER/ZR.  

We did not do this but, rather, got the manufacturer/vendor to do it for us free of charge.

Thanks for the advice, I can definitely try this solution seems like a probable fix. Only concern I have is LR optic have a max distance of 10km should I get it changed to 80km on the code itself Or it wont be an issue at all ?  Thanks 

Oh dear. 

Re-Flashing is a "software" modification only.  Hardware capabilities do not change.  A ZR optics, after reflashing to an LR/ER, will still be a ZR optics (distance-wise).  The optics will just "fool" the switch to say it is an LR/ER but the laser will not change.  

Worked Fine, Thanks 

palashgoyal21
Level 1
Level 1

Awesome, Let me try this fix tomorrow, will get in touch if anything is needed. Thanks again 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card