Views
Helpful
Replies

DNS with static IP

i716
Beginner
Beginner

Objective:

Connect devices with a static IP to the internet with DNS server settings pointing to ASA

Background:

All devices connected to the ASA by a dynamic IP assigned by the ASA's DHCP server are provided with the DNS server settings from the ASA. If I assign a static IP address to a device (Windows) and set the ASA as the default gateway and as the DNS server, I get no internet connection. This has worked with a Juniper device I had before.

So my question would be how do can I make the ASA assign the DNS server information to a device which has a static IP.

*I can establish a connection to the internet by entering an outside DNS server directly on the (Windows) machine that requires internet access, e.g. 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8 but this is not what I want.

1 Reply 1

Sean Vaidya
Participant
Participant

No, this wouldn't work. You have two options:

1. Statically assign DNS servers on the client machine 

OR

2. If the ASA allows it, you should be able to assign the client a static lease by reservation. Though I believe not all versions will have this option. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: